Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if anyone else's cats do this. Is she losing her voice?.. or is it normal?? she just started doing this silent meow. she will look at you and open her mouth as if to meow at you but nothing comes out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've had cats that did that. I've always just regarded it as a cute social interaction. They just look at you and give you a silent meow, kind of like we'd see someone we know and nod our head in greeting; sort of a silent communication without a word being spoken. 8)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I used to have a cat who did that all the time. My current does it occasionally, most of the time when she is reallllly begging for something. I assume there is a connection. Maybe it's her way of saying "please, please, mommy!" :lol:

·
Registered
252 Posts
We have had several cats in our family that does that, it's quite normal. I always get a kick out of them when they do the silent meow. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
As I understand it, the silent meow is a their way of saying "please." It is also a sign of endearment on their part. I have one male cat, Chrissie who does this frequntly. Be sure that you know what they are saying "please" about . Usually, it is either to be fed or to be picked up for some scritchies. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
For me it is alway a sign of affection.
Sometimes my cats lay relaxed, kneading and purring and then they meow without a voice. For me it's a very good feeling. Then I know that my cats are satisfied and happy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
woody was always a quiet squeaker or a totally silent meower when she was a kitten. once she went into heat, she became a howler! it was awful, i'd never heard her be so loud. after getting her spayed though, she went back to her quiet self. cats are just like people in that respect, they have different voices. i think its quite normal. i think the silent meow is adorable :D she mostly "errs" with her mouth closed, and sometimes lets out the tiniest little meow or a totally silent meow.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yoda is like that too. She can't meow loud. She always does other weird noises (but not very loud!) and sometimes the silent meow. Dunga is opposite of Yoda. She is loud! :) I think she never did a silent meow....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Silent Meow

Sometimes, though, it can mean that your kitty has a URI. Our Molly did that and it turned out she had laryngitis. Our vet assured us it would pass and it did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts