Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 year old cat lucky is such a cutie. When she gets a drink of water, she doesnt lap it up like most cats do. She sticks her paw in the water and licks her paw each time she wants a drink. :lol: ... and i thought cats didnt like to get wet. :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
haha...That is one of the cutest things I have heard....cats are just different sometimes...:)

Has she always done that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep she has always done that. its one of the things she does that makes her seem so "prissy" :lol: When she is getting a drink from the bowl or the sink... none of my other cats are "allowed" near.. She hisses at them. but Smokey... he doesnt pay any mind to Lucky's noises.... he will sneak up on her and push her aside( he weighs 15 lbs mind you and d=she weighs 10). I have a bunch of bickering babies on my hands... :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
hehe my kitty Orion does the same thing! Never will he drink like a normal cat, he always has to dip his paw and then lick the water off his paw!

Good to know he isn't the only kitty out there with this strange habbit :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think this is pretty common behavior amongst cats. Both of mine do it. I think it may have something to do with not being able to clearly see the water. This way, they dip their paw in it and scoop it up in order to drink.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have 2 cats, from the same lineage, who also do that. In fact, they act identical when they want attention. One is Fawn, part Abyssinian, and the other is Czarina, a Russian Blue-mix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Of my five cats, two do it. I somtimes think they are trying to clear the water to get to the clean stuff ( maybe a behavior that wild cats have). Whatever the reason, it is neat to watch and enjoy :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
My little cat also does it.
Each time when she wants to drink she first sticks her paw into the water, licks her paw and then starts to drink.
I agree with Jake, perhaps it's a relict of former times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts