Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2-year-old Lugh throws up on a regular basis--nearly every day. It doesn't appear to be hairballs, it's just food. It's like he eats too fast and throws up. I recently changed my cats' diets to be around 50% moist food and 50% dry from all dry food (based on advice from this forum), but it's been going on longer than that. I always feed them high-quality food, though, not just cheap supermarket stuff. A cat I had growing up, Mr. T, had the same problem, and we could never figure that out, either. My roommates are exasperated, as am I. Does anyone have any ideas about why it's happening or advice on how to stop it?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I had a cat awhile ago that did that all the time-overeat and throw up :roll: It was SO frustrating. We never did solve that one, but we were always feeding her bad food(it was when I was a kid) My cat Gaylord used to do it, but we were able to stop his by switching foods.........sounds like you have already tried that. I'm sure someone on here will be more helpful than I was...sorry :roll:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Spaz does that too..you can tell it's not even digested food that she's spitting up, so I have to assume that she's just eating too fast and not realizing she's getting full.

However, I did find that when I switched her to IAMS lamb and rice (for sensitive stomachs, supposed to be more easily digestible) she didn't get sick as often.

Another thing I noticed is when she's stressed for some reason, she tends to get sick more often. When I moved into this new place last year (divorced her daddy, who she wasn't crazy about anyways, he always used to put tape on her feet and stuff like that to her) she actually stopped getting sick altogether! She had mommy all to herself and mommy keeps her safe from tape. :) She's lately started getting sick again, but not near as bad as it was before. Now it's more like 1-2 times a week, so I think I'm gonna start doing routine play therapy every day with her and see if that helps. She may just be feeling neglected because I've been really busy at work lately.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
If she's eating too fast, try putting golf balls in her food. She'll have to eat around them and that should slow her down.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cat Sugar used to eat too fast and throw up but only on dry food. I free fed them and it stopped the gorging b/c before I was feeding them like 3 times a day. Also, even though she would stop throwing up from gorging, she would still randomly throw up and I kept switching foods. I went to a Science Diet prescription diet and that helped but she did it once in a blue moon. After I switched to Chicken Soup, she hasn't thrown up since except when she ate some ribbon. *Knocks on wood* :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts