Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago, we noticed a lump in Skeeter's back right leg. When I first felt it, I thought it was probably a lymph node or something like that. But, it's still enflamed. It's about the size of a bean, not hard or anything. But, firm. I'm a little worried about it. We are taking him in next week to get neutered, so that's when we'll ask the vet about it. It doesn't bother him or anything, but it's been there a while. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
600 Posts
A lump can be a tumor of any kind (benign, malign) The vet should check it and she will when you take him to be neutered; can't tell you if your kitty should be examined earlier but probably so b/c it could be malignant and spread rapidly..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am worried about if it is a tumor of some sort. Even if it is benign, that's another operation he'd have to have to get it removed. He is eating normally, playing a lot, cuddling with us, and seems like his everyday self. So, I'm not seeing any signs of change in his health. We go to the vet next week, so I'll ask them about it then.
Thank you, rosalie, for your reply. I'll let you know what we find out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did your cat recently have a rabies vaccination in that leg? If so, it is probably a vaccination reaction. Some cats will form a lump where their rabies vaccination was. I would still point it out to the vet at his neuter appt. He's fairly young to have a malignant tumor but there's always the possibility.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh, sunshine9! Very wise, very wise. I think you hit it right on the nose there. (Imagine my gasp of relief when I read your post!) I didn't even think of that. He did have his rabies shot about 3 weeks ago, now. And it makes sense because we've only noticed the lump in these past 2 and 1/2 weeks or so. WOW! Thank you soooo much.
Of course, I will still have the vet check this out. I did not even realize this could happen. Will the bump go away do you think?
Thank you so much for enlightening us. I feel so much better!

·
Registered
600 Posts
That's right!! It could be the vaccination's reaction :) I sure hope so..I guess the worst was in my mind because one of the ferals I feed has a lump, she's never had any shots & is lame on that leg too :cry: so I hope to trap her soon and take it to the vet..But your kitty is a whole different story. Do make sure with the vet and let us know how he's doing.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sure will, rosalie. Thank you for your concern. I also want to say how admirable it is of you to take care of those ferals. My goodness. I hope the little one with the lame leg allows you to take her to the vet soon. Poor thing. Keep us updated on her, wont you?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thank-you lolakitty23..My husband took 1 of the cats today to be neutered and one of the females have appt on Monday..it's slow b/c the vet doesn't do ferals normally but eventually they'll get the treatment they deserve, or close, poor things..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great that a couple of them are being seen! Yes, poor things, indeed. But, atleast they have you!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Rabies (and leukemia) vaccines cause a lot of inflammation, and often a granuloma (the little lump) will form at the site. Probably your vet will say just to watch it, but if it is not gone within 3 months then it may have turned cancerous and should be rechecked.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may turn cancerous?! My goodness. Thank you for responding, Dr. Jean. I had been wondering if the lump would go away over time. We will certainly keep an eye on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts