Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve only had my kitten for a week. During that time, I haven’t really fussed over him because I wanted to let him settle…but yesterday, he crawled up on the couch and fell asleep next to me, so I started to pet his left side. He’s still got a bit of diarrhea and a little bit of a rounded tummy…but I’ve experienced this with other kittens and am not worried about…but he also has lumps.

His stomach wasn’t smooth like it should be. It’s oddly lumpy. And I know that this is going to sound crazy, but I can’t describe the feeling in any other way – but it actually feels like you can feel his insides. The lumpiness isn’t on his coat, it’s something underneath. There is one lumpy area near the ribs and one below that – on his left side. The one closer to the ribs…if I run my finger over it, it almost feels like it pops in and the out against my fingers.

There is really no other way to explain it.

He’s playing, eating, drinking and everything as normal and doesn’t seem to act like he’s in any pain…and gladly slept through my poking and prodding.

I’ve contacted my Vet and am going to try to get him in there today (if they have an opening), but in the meantime…your thoughts and experiences would really help me out. I’m in a bit of a panic at the moment.

:(

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Hmmm, hernia maybe?

I wouldn't panic just yet, he's eating and eliminating and playing....acting normal otherwise. Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, too..but could a hernia make his whole side lumpy in various places?

Though, I'm also looking at this from a terrified owner's POV, so maybe it just seems extra lumpy because I've noticed lumps. I'm going to try and remain calm until I get to the vet. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My Max had the same thing, it was appearently lots of gas plus he had in intestinal infection, but even after being home and healthy for a few days when he sleeps on me I still feel the same lumpiness, also his tummy makes all sorts of noises after he eats. He gets super gassy. I started thinking maybe its the food. He eats wellness and blue buffalo wet food. Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Max had the same thing, it was appearently lots of gas plus he had in intestinal infection, but even after being home and healthy for a few days when he sleeps on me I still feel the same lumpiness, also his tummy makes all sorts of noises after he eats. He gets super gassy. I started thinking maybe its the food. He eats wellness and blue buffalo wet food. Let us know what the vet says.
I hope that I'm just overreacting and that it's something easily dealt with. I too feed my kitties Wellness and have never had a problem with it. Like I said, he's had diarrhea, but that comes standard with a new, stressed out kitten.

Thanks for the input. :)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I had two dogs die from cancerous tumors so i can relate to the lump panic. So many times i've hugged MowMow and was convinced there was a menacing lump. I stand the poor guy up and palpate him to see if i really felt something.....then i check the opposite side to see if there is one there (because in my paranoid brain there's little chance he'd have the same tumor on BOTH sides).

The vet has one or two panicked "i think he has cancer" trips. I can understand your worry.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had two dogs die from cancerous tumors so i can relate to the lump panic. So many times i've hugged MowMow and was convinced there was a menacing lump. I stand the poor guy up and palpate him to see if i really felt something.....then i check the opposite side to see if there is one there (because in my paranoid brain there's little chance he'd have the same tumor on BOTH sides).

The vet has one or two panicked "i think he has cancer" trips. I can understand your worry.
Yep. I'm pretty much at meltdown status right now. My other cat Nigel must have thought I was crazy because after I found the lumps on Archie, I gave him a TSA style patdown.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Archie is fine. The lumpy feel that I'm getting is from his tummy being so bloated, so it makes everything feel a bit odd. They checked his entire body and all is well. They are testing for parasites just to be sure. Otherwise, he just has a common potbelly that some kittens get.

On a lighter note - I was supposed to come back with the stool sample sometime over the next couple of days, but halfway home, Archie decided to poop in his carrier, so I just scooped it up and headed right back to the office.

Thanks for your concerns. I feel so much better after seeing my vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts