Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna presented us with a beautiful kitten this morning about 3am! Must be a throwback to Melanistic Bengals in her or Komet's lines....or he/she will change colour later? Little gaffer is crawling around trying to nurse.

Attachments

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kitten #1 is 101grams and appears to be a male. I didn't look too long and the room is still darkened. 'He' even mowed at me.....Luna wasn't even nervous when I picked 'him' up to check his weight,

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
More kitties to come?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
'Meli' looks like he might be an only kitten. He gained 16grams in his first 8 hours and is constantly nursing. Luna is being a perfect Mommy....she cleans him constantly and lets him nurse all the time. She proudly showed him off to Mystik (touching noses with her). Luna was quite excited to show Meli to his daddy, Komet, this morning too. Luna's breeder shared a photo on our cats' FB page of Luna's mom as a kitten and there are some pretty dark kittens with her...so she definitely carried the Melanistic gene. Hard to believe our very first kitten would be a rare Melanistic Bengal! Meli has some faint markings on his legs, but they haven't shown up on photos yet. I will try to post another photo up later....the ones we post in FB all have our cattery name on them...not sure if that is allowable here.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I looked up some pictures of what A melanistic Bengal kitten looks like – such beautiful ghost markings on them!

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Oh squeeee!!!! Luna looks pretty protective of her kitten. Good girl Luna, for being such a good mommy! I just looked up melanistic Bengals too. Wow, they're stunning! We expect frequent updates!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meli is definitely a sweetie! Under bright lights, you can see his black rosettes on his black background....so he is definitely a melanistic bengal and going to grow up and look like a little Black Panther! You can see the markings a bit on his paws, especially on the photo of him on the scale this morning. But the markings aren't showing so great on the camera yet....maybe get my son's professional camera and try!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See if this works...it still doesn't do justice to his colouring...but you can just start to make out the black rosettes on his sides. His paws are easier to see the contrast.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Oh wow, you can see rosettes pretty clearly in the last pic - I can't wait to see what he looks like once he's grown! And that's such a precious pic of mama and her baby! He's lucky - doesn't have to share mama with anyone. :) Look at his teeny tiny tail next to hers. So cute!

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
What a Precious Baby! He (?) is Adorable! :D

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
He's gonna be a gorgeous cat! I love his faint rosette markings, that's so cool! I've read that for the melanistic feature to appear, both parents have to have the recessive gene, so I guess that means Komet has it in him, too!

So...um, is "Meli" his temp name?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, Meli is a temporary name....given he definitely looks like a he....we don't need another male in our breeding program. Our daughter and her husband are interested in him or we may adopt him out if another breeding program doesn't want him for their program. He would be gorgeous to keep...but then I'd be a crazy cat woman!

Luna isn't feeling too well this morning...she turned down food and is now sleeping on the bed, overlooking her nesting box and baby. DH is supposed to be keeping an eye on her today.....but I worry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts