Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 9yr old cat Bilbo was suspected to have IBD due to chronic vomiting, weight loss, and loss of appetite over several months, but just got the abdominal ultrasound results back and he has 4 lumps on his spleen, 3 enlarged lymph nodes, and inflammation in his small intestine and kidneys. Vets now believe likely GI lymphoma.

I was given the option of biopsies through abdominal surgery, but vet said given presence in multiple organs might be advanced and so all it could really do it confirm which type of cancer. His prognosis was anywhere from 2-3 months upwards to a year, so I'm hesitant to put him through such an invasive surgery if he does only have a couple months.

The nearest chemotherapy centers are 4-5hr drives away, so vet suggested putting him on Prednisolone to reduce inflammation and make him more comfortable. After doing some research, it seems greater success for remission has been found using a combination of Prednisolone and Chlorambucil? Curious if anyone else out there had their cat on that med combo, or have any recommendations based on his symptoms/diagnosis?

I know he probably doesn't have much time left, but would like to both make him comfortable and give him a shot at a little extra time if possible!

Any advice, much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
I have no experience with this kind of illness. Is Bilbo still vomiting, losing weight and his appetite? I always look at the cat's quality of life. When Cinderella stopped wanting to eat, I let her go. She was my first cat and first loss, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at age 7. She was terminal and I refused to syringe feed her food and water. I would have only been doing it because I didn't want to say goodbye. My sweet little Cali was 13 when I had to say goodbye. Now I have another decision to make, so I do know how much this is breaking your heart.

If the combination of meds you mentioned will, in fact, make him comfortable for a while longer, and stop the vomiting, etc., you're the best judge of his quality of life. Such a hard choice, I know you'll treasure every moment of time you have left with him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry to hear about your sweet kitties, and thank you for your kind words. It is such a terrible thing to go through. I completely agree on quality of life...Bilbo is still eating/drinking and using his litter box normal, and the vomiting is pretty intermittent (some days does, other days does not). He just took his first dose of Prednisolone so hopefully he starts feeling more himself...he seems very lethargic and in pain but fingers crossed the steroids help with that.
Apparently the Chlorambucil can only be prescribed by an oncologist which may require biopsies :/

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. I hope the medication gives you more time with Bilbo.

Reactions: BBaggins

·
Registered
290 Posts
Although I generally am against the use of Steroids for anyone, when it is an end of life situation they are the right thing, because long-term effects are not pertinent. I think if your cat responds well to the steroids, I'd stay with that, because getting the other medication may require a biopsy, as is noted previously. I am sorry you are facing this. Your Bilbo is a lucky cat to have someone who cares so much about him.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My cat Harli has been on prednisolone and a biweekly chlorambucil tablet, also fortiflora since December.
She has intestinal lymphoma. So far she is doing well, has gained back slightly more than one pound and is happy & energetic. She does have a sonogram every 3 months. Unfortunately her oncologist left the practice. So we're starting with someone new in July (her next sonogram/exam) at a different veterinary office across town.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for your reply...glad Harli is responding well to those meds! Did you have to get a biopsy done before they workflow start him on the chemotherapy? Do you know what stage he was in when you started this, or if it had spread beyond Harli’s intestine? I’ve reached out to oncologists but unfortunately can’t see Bilbo for another few weeks and they are several hours drive away. He seems a bit better on the Prednisolone (5 days into treatment) but hope there’s some other options for him in the way of chemotherapy.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yes she had a biopsy 1st. My regular vet did the biopsy procedure. Diagnoses was small cell lymphoma in GI tract. It hasn't gone anywhere else. She had lost a couple pounds, down to 6.51 lbs and watery diarrhea. (Normally had been 9 lbs. She's a tortie)

So she's at 7.7 lbs now. Not sure if she'll gain any more, probably depends on if she can achieve remission or if the cancer just proceeds.

She was initially on Metronidazole for the diarreah. Her poop is mostly normal now, sometimes a little clumpy. I'm feeding her Purina Veterinary gastroenteritis diet food. Which is fairly cheap for a prescription food, so I am letting my other cat eat it also as it's hard to keep them from eating each other's food. Although my other cat doesn't get the fortiflora. You can get the prednisolone in pill or liquid form. I have the liquid and add it to her morning food.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts