Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know every cat has their "crazies" but I can't tell if Mac is just exhibiting normal cat behavior or if something is really scaring him. Every night about 9 or 10, he does zoom around my apartment from place to place. It also happens in the afternoon sometimes. I've seen other cats do this, but Mac seems actually scared to me. His tail is fluffed or down, his ears are back, and his back is arched. He's not aggressive, and he's usually ok if I approach him. He also makes pitiful meowing noises. I know he might be part siamese but this is really the only time he vocalizes. Am I just being paranoid or is something in my apartment really scaring him? I found some youtube videos with music for calming cats and this seems to work but usually by this time at night I'm getting ready to go to bed or watching netflix or something so I can't always play the music.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Scout does the same thing every so often (definitely not every night though). He'll get all riled up and act like he's chasing something around the house and run from room to room, and meow/howl. His pupils get dilated and he looks really agitated, but he's fine if I approach him and isn't aggreessive. I've never really thought anything of it because I've had cats in the past who did the same thing on occasion.

If it's all of the time/every night, he may just have a lot of energy to burn off. How old is he? Have you tried playing with him with something interactive like Da Bird to help work off some of that energy? You could try doing it just before his evening meal.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
ROFL! Welcome Calysocoin to the world of 'Night time Zoomies'!
Completely normal, fluffed tail and all!!
Meowing at you is an invitation to join him for fun and games!!;):D

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
We have terms for that here: Rocketbutt and ghost mouse

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Ah, yes, the "zoomies"......ears back, and fluffed tail.....he's just practising his tough guy image. Normal behavior, nothing to worry about, enjoy the antics.:eek:rcat

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
dianosis:lynx pointius exuberancius::
thats the lynx point meezer catatude:
Treatment: requires the cats staff to chase and play hide and seek with said cat.. also effective are string and wand toys employed untill the cat is to tired out to run or jump anymore.. if said cat will chase a laser dot this can be used once the cats staff are also tired out..
prognosis: no known cure.. nightly treatments may allow the staff some rest..

·
Registered
836 Posts
We have terms for that here: Rocketbutt and ghost mouse
Lol! Mine don't really do full-out zoomies, but Dante has his own version that we refer to as Invisible Spaceship because he acts like he's chasing and jumping for tiny spaceships that are flying around, but only he can see them.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Lol! Mine don't really do full-out zoomies, but Dante has his own version that we refer to as Invisible Spaceship because he acts like he's chasing and jumping for tiny spaceships that are flying around, but only he can see them.
Yeah, Scout seems to be chasing invisible bugs when he gets in this mode. Evidently they make noise that only he can hear too because he'll stop and listen very intently for a minute, then go back to being a spaz. :)

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
What a visual THAT was! Just imagined what the reaction would be, both from DH AND the cats, if I jumped in and ran around the house, drifting around the corners, leaping over the couches, thundering down the hallway at top speed! LOL!!
... I actually do this while playing with the cat? :lol: Minus the acrobatics. Usually I just raise my hands and then Jasper dashes off since that's my signal that I'm going to chase him... I don't normally have to since Coco sees the signal and chases him instead.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
One of my females does it, as well as my male. The other female really doesn't. My Penny not only does zoomies, while she is doing it she is making these really bizarre strangled meow sounds that sound like someone is trying to kill her lol.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
Those are hilarious! Is this a male cat thing? I don't remember my female cat doing this.
I only have girls and all three do this. Even quiet little Cinderella did it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Those are hilarious! Is this a male cat thing? I don't remember my female cat doing this.
My cat is a female and she does this almost every night (minus the meowing).

Also, she loves when I join in (and I find it pretty fun, too!).

It seems to be turning off the lights that triggers it. She likes to hide in the corner of a darkened room and then jump out at me when I walk by. I then chase her until she finds another hiding place and the next round of the game begins.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nixie does this at night and gets herself really worked up then after awhile just plops over on her chair and zonks out... so I think its pretty normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts