Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted about my 8 yr old cat being sick. I had taken him to the vet and they did bloodwork and x-rays, all coming out fine. The vet suggested I take him in for an ultrasound which I did last week.

My cat went from 11 pounds in June to 8 pounds recently which prompted my taking him in to get checked. (Side note: I had noticed the weight loss but thought it was due to the Prozac he had been on for territorial marking and he was eating fine but his appetite did diminish, again, I contributed it to the Prozac since it sometimes causes weight loss). Anyhow, The place where I took him for the ultrasound is one of the best in New England (VESCONE). My veterinarian has been in practice for 23 years. When she told me of the ultrasound findings she said that the abdominocentesis or exploratory surgery would be a 95-98% way to get a "name" and I'd be putting my cat through a lot for just a name when the outcome is going to be the same. She also said that she doesn't even know that she can get any fluid from his belly and if she couldn't, she'd have to go right to exploratory surgery. Also, I don't know if the masses within the mesentery can all be removed without some major complications. She also said that he is already sick (although sometimes he doesn't look it) so why put him through all that. By the way, she suspects either FIP or cancer - most likely the latter.

As mentioned, I've been doing a ton of thinking and reading about the situation and came to the conclusion that I'd make him as happy as possible and not put him through all the poking and prodding he'd be subjected to. I don't know if I have the heart, and if he has the strength, to go through surgery, possibly followed by chemo if it will only prolong and not cure. She told me to keep an eye on his eating and when he no longer eats then I'll know it's time. He is eating okay and I've been giving him Hills a/d and Nutrical.

I guess the nature of my posting is probably out of guilt that I feel by not doing the abdominocentesis. I'm certainly not doubting my vet but sometimes I'm in denial and feel like I need to hear from others that it's "not good" and that I am doing the right thing. I feel like I am but certainly get my moments where I feel I could do more but…when I see my cat happy and purring at home, I want to leave him that way. I know what my heart is telling me to do but it really doesn't come without guilt - very tough to deal with at times.

I'm sorry if this message seems rambling. My mind has been going in circles since last week. Sometimes I feel fine with my decision and sometimes I can just about feel my heart breaking and get a pit in my stomach. I appreciate any insight if anybody has gone through the same thing. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
You should do what your heart tells you. I pray that your cat has some good months left, and that he has a great quality of life. I wish you peace of mind. My only experience with cancer in an animal was my dog, and that was operable. I lost another do to lymphatic leukemia. The first dog recovered, despite his advanced age, but the one wih lymphatic leukemia went downhill fast. Of course my heart was broken, but I couldn't bear to see her in that condition. It's very difficult to put a much loved pet to sleep, but sometimes it's the kindest thing to do.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
One of my dogs a long time ago had parvo and I tried him on medication and such and we just had to put him to sleep. It is indeed very sad but I read your story and think that you should definitely follow your heart. You have reason for not doing what you mentioned and therefore making your cats life right now the best if could be. It may seem selfish sometimes but just know that you did the best you could and whatever the outcome at least know that your cat had the best life and you were a wonderful mom. Hope everything works out! :p

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I hope you will turn to us any time you need a shoulder, Cheesensweets - we will give you all the support you need because we know exactly what you are going through. I hope you kitty will get better.
Kitkat - a friend of mine had a cocker spaniel that had Parvo - her first vet didn't do the right tests at the right time and when she finally got the results from a different vet - with hopes that there was some sort of a cure- it was too late - and the baby doggie went through ****. It is such a major decision to chose the right vet.
Anyways it is the second time I hear of Parvo

·
Registered
3 Posts
I truly feel for you. One of my cats is being hospitalized right this moment. They said there is a great risk if not treated properly. So he is being treated. But If I were in your shoes, I probably would let him enjoy the time he has left. (I am about to cry right now) Such a little body can only take so much and I belive people and animals go to the same place after life. I pray for your cat. You never know miracle might happen!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,
I'm very sorry to hear your kitty is sick. I have a 14 yr old cat and I love him more than anything in the world. He means the world to me and my whole family knows it. I also had a scare a few month back that he could have cancer and I was so upset and crying and everyone tried to comfort me but I was just a wreck. It turned out he doesn't have cancer which I was sooooo very happy to hear. He is doing fine now. If I were in your situation, I would do exactly what you are doing. The poking and proding would make me feel horrible. You will know when it is time to let him go. Enjoy the last few months you have with him. It makes me feel better to take pictures and then make a scrapbook. It'll bring back the memories of when the kitty was well and you can also add little journals to the pages and at the end you can put a nice saying to help comfort you. I hope this helps you. Just keep an eye on the kitty and follow what your heart tells you. I'm very sorry to hear about the kitty. We are al here to help you and comfort you any way we can. Don't be afraid to ask questions or to just tell us whats on your mind. We don't think you are rambling. We understand what you are going through. Keep us posted! :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts