Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am new here and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with some information on something I heard about Maine coon male kittens and neutering.

I was told that if I neutered my kitten "too soon" his ear tips and mane wouldn't grow as much and therefore IF I decided to show him in future I would lose points.

It doesn't worry me an awful lot but I do love those ear tips on Maine coons and I can't have him as a stud cat as he is an only pet (not fair) and it's in the contract I have with the breeder to get him neutered.

I can't find any info. on the net about this and really need some advice!!!

Ta
Hayley x
:wink: [/img]

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If it's in the contract, you must neuter him.

I've never heard of neutering kitties to soon to cause problems? Your kitten should be at LEAST 4 months old to neuter. (or 5, depending on who you ask ;) ). And at most 6 months. These ages are picked because kitty is old enough to safely enter surgery, and young enough to fix any bad spraying habbits that he 'may' have developed. Older kitty is, the chances of spraying increase. Also, neutering removes all chances of cancer in his 'regions' ;)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Maine coons do develop a little more slowly than smaller breeds; but 6 months is a good age to neuter.

Male kittens start secreting testosterone at about something like 3 weeks of age, so by 6 months they have had *plenty* of time to develop.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all - it's not a question of NOT neutering him just when :p I go to pick him up in less than 3 weeks! He is gorgeous :D
Thank you for replying!
Hayley x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts