Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Robin's got a little Maine Coon in 'im. Somebody mentioned that MCs take a while to mature. Is this just physically, or menatlly and emotionally, too?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I've never owned a Maine Coon but had a friend who bred them. They remain pretty playful and kittenish into their middle years. They do take around 3-4 years to mature to their full physical size.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Holly pretty much attained her full size by 18 months. Then she had two little growth spurts, one at age 2 and another just before her 4th birthday. Neither were anything significant, just looked a tad bit taller when side by side with Kobi.

Mentally, at age 9, she's still very kittenish. Everything is a new adventure and an opportunity to be curious. No "ho hum I've seen that before" for her.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
From what I understand, Maine Coon's are a lot like large breeds of dogs. They develop later both physically and mentally/emotionally. So like Ami and Doodlebug said, they develop later in all aspects and are often more playful and kitten-like longer than most cats.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's very huggable, and a smart cat! I bought some clear plastic bins to put stuff in. If I leave them uncovered, someone thinks it's a giant toybox!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have 2 Maine Coons. One male and one female. Both have peaked to their full size at 4 years old. Tequila, male is 17 lbs and Maya, female is 15 lbs. Both are muscular and long. They do act kittenish at 4 years old, more so Tequila. Males tend to have a very goofy personality. They are extremely smart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts