Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Sienna a month now and am having issues keeping her body weight up. She was very sick if you remember a week or so ago and has since recovered (still on antibiotics). I'm trying to feed her as best I can while keeping the cost reasonable. Currently she gets 1/4 can of Innova Cat and Kitten along with a half a can or something else a day (Authority usually). However, it's difficult to know exactly the calories she is getting a day as the non-Innova cans don't list calories on it (Innova has 516 calories per 13 oz can). She's a year old and pretty active in fits and starts and I don't think she is maintaining her body weight as well as I would like. She only weighs maybe 7 lbs. I figure she is getting around 200 calories a day more or less (125 from Innova and 75 or so from other foods). That would be between 25-30 calories per lb she gets per day. We have a local Petsmart but don't have a Petco.

Does anyone have any ideas of other foods that pack a caloric punch for a rather small amount? As it is, I can't really add more food to her breakfast as it already is taking her several trips back and forth to the bowl before she finally finishes it. Another issue is she seems to not care for pate' as much (which Innova is, of course, since it's the best food I can get locally that is still economically feasible. Naturally she wouldn't care for it as much!). I feed her twice a day and am gone all day so can't really add a wet middle of the day meal consistently.

I've thought about getting a little dry to put out for the middle of the day but don't really want to start her back on dry as I just got her transitioned to canned a few weeks ago. I will, though, if that's the only way for now to keep her in condition.

One other thing I could do (maybe) would be to feed a snack (1/4 can of food maybe?) around 6ish and then feed her supper around 9. Would something like that work?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Would you consider switching the non-Innova cans to raw meat? Though you won't get calories number still, but I'm pretty sure your kitty will get more calories for the same amount from raw meat. If she doesn't like pate, chunk of meat would be something she prefer too.

My girl Metoo was on the skinny side too. She doesn't like to eat at all, always leaving half amount in her bowl. I increased the propotion of raw chicken in the daily amount I feed her, and she is slowly gaining some weight. Also (I know ppl would be yelling at me for this, but still...), you can easily force feed your kitty with meat chunk. There was time I got so frustrated with Metoo for not eating, I actually pried open her mouth and stuff the meat into it. Surprisingly, she took it well. No struggle and she will chew and swallow the piece in her mouth. I will take it as the last resort if she stopped eating.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think also maybe you can try adding a light meal for each day. I work full time, and my cats get two regular meals, one at 7am and one at 6pm. Then around 11pm before I go to bed, they get a light meal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I want to add that she is a proponent of meal times and keeps me informed when it is close to time, might be time, is time, is past time (you get the idea). On the occasions I've just fed her a half can of something non-pate she finishes it pretty much at one time. She's not a reluctant eater, it just takes her longer now to eat a pate food as she isn't that excited about it ... however, she DOES eat it. I just don't think I could add more to her meals as that's quite a bit of food to get through at one meal as it is.

I could try adding a light meal in the evenings. As she matures more, she may level out and not need it at some point.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did a search and noticed that Authority lists their calorie count on their website. It's not easy to see, and I was lucky to even find it. What flavors of the Authority are you feeding? Maybe I can do the math for you.

EDIT: Also, since you don't have a PetCo, you can get Blue Wilderness canned or Wellness Core canned at PetSmart. Those both have high calorie counts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the Authority site for Chicken (the exact flavor I have isn't mentioned as I I think it's a flavor that was discontinued <i.e., I bought all the cans they had on clearance>}, it states the following:

Calorie Content: Metabolizable Energy-1258 kcal/kg
Formulated to meet the nutrient levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles

How does that translate for the different size cans (I have 6 oz cans but they also have it in 3 oz cans)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looking at the Authority site for Chicken (the exact flavor I have isn't mentioned as I I think it's a flavor that was discontinued <i.e., I bought all the cans they had on clearance>}, it states the following:

Calorie Content: Metabolizable Energy-1258 kcal/kg
Formulated to meet the nutrient levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles

How does that translate for the different size cans (I have 6 oz cans but they also have it in 3 oz cans)?
6oz = 170g

so

1000g/1258Kcal = 170g/213.86Kcal

213.86 calories per 6 ounce can.

(Pretty sure I did that right)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much! It seems odd that she isn't plumping up a little bit on what she's being fed assuming the figures are right ... 235 calories a day for a 7 lb cat seems appropriate, even generous (over 33 calories per lb of weight). Should I still be feeding her closer to a kitten's intake instead of an adult's?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks so much! It seems odd that she isn't plumping up a little bit on what she's being fed assuming the figures are right ... 235 calories a day for a 7 lb cat seems appropriate, even generous (over 33 calories per lb of weight). Should I still be feeding her closer to a kitten's intake instead of an adult's?
You're welcome! :)

As for feeding her like a kitten, I would, at least for a week and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
If Sienna is under a year old, you should be feeding her like a kitten - MUCH more than an adult cat would typically need. If she's an underweight adult or if she's an adult who's losing weight she doesn't need to be losing, you should be feeding her more - either more meals per day or more food per meal. You can leave some canned food out for her while you're gone during the day, as well. It'll stay fresher longer if you mix it with plenty of water and offer it as "canned food soup".

You really don't need to be a calorie counter. Just monitor your cat's weight regularly (a digital baby scale is extremely helpful in this regard) and adjust her food portions as necessary to achieve and maintain proper weight.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If this doesn't seem to help, a vet visit would be in order. You've had her such a short time, it is hard to know if this is a temporary issue or will be a longterm one.

Thyroid and diabetes are issues that can cause issues with keeping weight on. And kidney disease. One of the more recent medical theories is that many diseases are caused by a virus, but your genetic makeup determines what you get.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Natures Variety Instinct packs a calorie punch! I tried feeding my 7lb Hanx 2 3oz cans a day and it's way too much for him, like 240 calories. He's happy eating like 180-200 a day. Makes it difficult to portion out sometimes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input! She had blood work done last week (sent to a diagnostic lab) and it came back normal except for indications of dehydration (she had had vomiting that weekend, hence the vet visits). Last night my husband fed her supper while I was at a meeting and I fed her a bedtime snack (another half can of authority) and she finished it all off before settling in to sleep. That was more than I had planned for her 'light' meal but I'll try 1/4-1/3 of a can instead tonight.

I think because of being sick last week (she lost at least a half lb) and then a return to her normal, bustling activity level has made it a bit more challenging to get her back up to a better weight. She's a little over a year old, but has been very active once she started feeling better. It took her a few days of convalescing before she felt well enough to play, but her appetite has been good except for the awful weekend she had over a week ago.

She's also rather on the petite side, particularly for a Persian and after being sick and dehydrated only weighed 6 lb 8 oz., down from 6 lb 15 oz when I first got her (however she had put on a little bit in between those vet visits so her loss was probably even more than 1/2 lb).

·
Registered
62 Posts
You might also consider some probiotics. I always give these when my cat is on antibiotics since the meds kill not only the "bad" bugs but also the good ones which are supposed to be in the gut. Without them you can't properly digest and absorb the nutrients in food. Especially if her stools are slightly loose, this will clear that up from the abx. and get her gut working properly again. GL B

1 - 14 of 14 Posts