Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten has a biting problem when she was little my boyfriend and I thought it was cut but now that she has extremely sharp teeth it is getting painful. We ty to tell get no and spank her but she doesn't get the point. Have any suggestions on how to stop her from biting??
And here is another picture for everyone who asked:)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please don't hit your kitten. :(
She's just a little baby, she doesn't have any self control yet, nor does she realize how hard she's biting. Kittens are really tricky... you have to have the patience of a saint!

What we've been doing is saying "NO!" and offering an alternative to gnaw on, like a toy. It's going to take a long time, your little one's younger than ours so there's going to be play biting and scratching for a while yet. Don't give up though! People have told me to expect our kitty to calm down around 1-2 years of age. It's just one of those "kitten things".

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Lobita is spot on!

I'll add though, that if you punish her you're actually punishing her for something you taught her to do ("when she was little my boyfriend and i thought it was cut"), which is extremely unfair, IMO.

A kitten that age should get short (30 second to 1 minute) time outs as a correction, if that. But I always prefer teaching them what they SHOULD do over punishing a mistake.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ditto the above 2 responses. Kittens do not understand being spanked. The only thing that will do is make her scared, and she may eventually fight back. Since she's on her own, she didn't learn proper play behavior from her siblings. Kittens ALWAYS play rough and bite one another, but they learn not to bite from their siblings (who will hiss, growl, and walk away). Since she doesn't have her siblings, she needs to learn that from you. When she bites, just say "NO" loud enough to get her attention, and walk away, and give her a toy to play rough with. Eventually she will learn that when she bites, she doesn't get your attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts