Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advise, what would you do? I got an 8 year old neutered male cat from the shelter two months ago. Three weeks in, he started peeing outside the litter box due to an infection. Vet gave him an antibiotic shot and he was ok for two week, then started again. Vet still found bacteria in his urine, had me give him a stronger antibiotic for two weeks, but he only stopped a few days before starting again, this time spraying walls too. The vet said since the urine culture didn't grow anything, the antibiotic didn’t stop it, then it's behaviora, especially the spraying. Vet suggested Prozac and special diet that might kick in in a month, then keep him on them maybe 4-6 months but could be permanently if the problem comes back.

An animal behaviorist gave me a plan that requires a lot of monitoring and confining for at least a month. And I spent $1000 on bills so far. I’m overwhelmed and got scheduled to return him to the shelter but he’s the sweetest lap cat ever and I’ve gotten so attached to him. It’s just so painful. I’m not sure I can go through with it but I dread being stuck with a problem that’s potentially ongoing.😥I don’t think I could handle it. I’ve only had him 2 months. He's 8 years old, pretty and soft and loves laps.
I don't know if I should just return him for the sake of my stress levels, before I get any more attached, or try another month to see if he changes. I was convinced it would be best to return him, then yesterday it hit me hard how I would miss him and I was crying all day.

Has anyone else successfully dealt with peeing/spraying issues? He had no problem the first three weeks until he got that infection.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have dealt with this, although under different circumstances. My male neutered cat started refusing to use the litter box when there was another cat here, and after the cat left he still would not. I did a ton of research online. If you go looking you will find a lot of articles and even a facebook group for people who have litter box issues with their cats. this group will be very helpful to you. I suggest you find that and ask questions there before you start on the behaviorist program simply because there may be additions to that or changes that the experts might suggest.

If you can settle on a good program to re-train him, I suggest that since you really like the cat you go through with that. And have a lot of patience!! For me, I reached the point you are at but I couldn't give up because it had been my fault that things had changed. (long story). I worked with him and it took over a year for him to be 100% reliable in using the box, but it did change.

I very much doubt it will take that long for you, because the problem has not gone on for so long as it had with my cat. This is a short-term problem and can be changed in a short time.
Take heart. You will be really glad afterward that you hung in there. this is just a challenging period of time, it won't last forever.

Immediate thing to try:
make sure you thoroughly clean ALL areas he has peed with a strong enzymatic cleaner that is designed for cat pee odor. Remember he can smell it even if you cannot.
Try Cat Attract litter
Add more cat boxes and keep them all clean
If you ever see him starting to pee, take him gently and put him in the box, then praise him if he uses it
If you ever see him in the box, wait until he is done and praise him and give him a treat

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
You received some very good suggestions.....If these don't work, you may have to resort to doing what I had to do with a breeding stud cat when I was into breeding Manx. I had one stud that just sprayed everything, he would not give it up, so I had to resort to keeping him confined in a special room, and his free time in the rest of the house he had to wear diapers. At that time there weren't any pet diapers on the market and I used "newborn baby" diapers, that worked well, tho you'd have to cut a slit for the tail!. Tho now they do have panties available in pet stores or Amazon that do have an opening for a tail. All the best!.

Reactions: Fluffyone
1 - 3 of 3 Posts