Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have to admit that part of my absence here is due to a silly hobby of mine, to make my own cards. Now when Christmas is nearing quickly it's time to make those cards (won't have much time once we move in a month).

I found a really fun technique I'd like to share with you, it's called Iris Folding. I found this link and adjusted the ideas a bit to suit me.

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/IDEAS/IDEA_297.htm

I didn't have any blank or holographic paper, but I made do with what I had at home. I didn't have any template either, I just cut out the "frame" myself, after the template you can download.

This is a detail of the work:

And here's the card I made:

Here's another fun link to download some fun templates for Iris Folding. Not as Chrismasy, but gorgeous!
http://www.cardsandcrafts.freeservers.com/iristmpl.html

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I make Christmas cards too but only for other artsy fartsy friends because they keep them. I do rubber stamping technique but like this alot. Looks like alot of work.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MA, yeah I do rubberstamping too, but not that much yet. Have a few stamps but none of them are exactly what I like and I need to buy more inks in different colors. Been thinking of buying unmounted stamps from the US, if the shipping is reasonable, to keep the price down a bit.

I do a lot of embossing! It's great fun and can be done without stamps. I have a few embossing pens and it lets me draw on free hand. Then I have a gang of different embossing powders that I heat up to get a cool design.

Here's a card I made with embossing (both the frame, with transparent and the chinese sign ("birthday) in gold glitter):

And this is another card I made, but just with different layers of paper and a cute ribbon with roses:

With a few different types of papers and a bit of creativity you can come up with a lot of fun ideas. :)

Oh, and you have to play with eyelets a bit, that's soo fun!

Two REALLY fun stores online to buy stuff from:
http://impressrubberstamps.com/

http://www.addictedtorubberstamps.com/

Oh, btw... if you have any StampUp stamps (I think that's what they are called) let me know... cuz you can't buy them online or anywhere here in Sweden and I really want to try to get hold of some.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mismodliz said:
Oh, btw... if you have any StampUp stamps (I think that's what they are called) let me know... cuz you can't buy them online or anywhere here in Sweden and I really want to try to get hold of some.
My boyfriend's boss just invited me to another StampUp party.
GO GO GO!!! And buy me stamps if you don't want any for yourself! :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EllyBelly, know any Swedish? :)

Ok, made a new one today with a little different colors. Iris Folding *is* fun! I really recommend it, since it doesn't matter what age you are, it'll be fun how you do it. I found some wrapping paper that I used this time. Now I need to go out and buy more wrapping paper... SO FUN! :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
Oh Cyberpet...you do beautiful work. Do you like scrapbooking too? I'm so into that these days. Well anyway, have you thought of scrapbook paper for the iris folding?

·
Registered
120 Posts
my sister in law made a photo album like that for my dads 60th was soooo coool ! i wish i could be creative.. hrmm maybe i can be lol

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MA said:
Oh Cyberpet...you do beautiful work. Do you like scrapbooking too? I'm so into that these days. Well anyway, have you thought of scrapbook paper for the iris folding?
MA, I don't do scrapbooks, I don't know I'm picky with my photo's and don't want anything to take over over the photo's. I want them to speak for themselves. I guess that's why I play with hand made cards, then the card speaks for itself and only that.

As long as the paper is thin, like almost the same thickness as thin metalic wrapping paper or even origami papper, you'll be fine. The more wild patterns, the funnier. I'm still experimenting and will go out buying lots of wrapping paper now, cheap and fun! :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
No sadly I don't know any swedish....we celebrate alot of Swedish Traditions though, and most of our homes are decorated with Swedish things....Our family traces back to Darlana, i think....

I can't beleive thats wrapping paper, i'm going to be an art teacher that will be a great technique to teach because i can get supplies kinda cheap...

Thanks for the great idea!!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made som really simple christmas cards today. Just cut and paste. I bought one of those corrugated paper makers (really simple things) and the result is so fun. Looks more advance than it is. Just ran through a straight paper through that corrugated paper maker and used star stickers and some string (and in some cases some golden paper) to get the result.

·
Registered
368 Posts
CyberPet said:
Have you taken a look on Ebay? I'm not sure how many of the sellers ship internationally, but I've found some really good deals on Stampin' Up there...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I know they are sold on eBay but many doesn't like to ship abroad. I guess they think we're a hairy bunch, not to be trusted or something. I don't understand why people don't use paypal more, it's an excellent way to pay for stuff an works both ways for seller and buyer.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, a new batch of cards made today (a total of 26, but I must do 42). I stole some ideas and was inspired by some other. I'm especially happy with my candle rings that I bought cheap and used as an embellishment on some cards (tricky to put in an envelope, but why not live dangerous a while *giggles*). Oh and "God Jul" means "Merry Christmas" in Swedish.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts