Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a scary situation with my cats. Got them as kittens last 8/03; we let them out in the morning for a few hours, then they are in the rest of the day.

Today I heard barking and saw two dogs loose while my cats were out. I shooed the dogs aways then looked for my cats. I found one 40 feet up a tree, got her down with help from a neighbor with an extention latter. I went looking for the other and found her up a tree on the end of a tree limb in a neighbors yard. With help from another neighbor, I got her down.

I don't want to go through this again, and was wondering if I would encounter any problems making them indoor cats (other than knowing they will cry to go out). They use a scatching post indoors and are both very sociable. My wife is always afraid something might happen when they are outside , she would have been "beside herself" if she was home and I wasn't.

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Scamper and welcome!

As for your kitties, I will go on record as saying I would like to see you keep them inside, no matter what.

Why expose a kitty to all of the dangers that exist "out there"? Traffic, dogs, other cats, mean-minded humans, etc. All of those things can add up to make "out there" a pretty scary place for your kitties to be, anyway.

You are right, however. Once they get a little taste of what's "out there", they will want to go back. Just keep an eye on the doors when you are passing through them and your kitties will never end up getting treed by another dog. Ever.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I agree with Mike on all points. Sabby was often let outside when he was young and 10 years later he still tries to get out whenever he sees the opportunity. I became really good at sticking my foot through the door to keep him inside while I came in. Screen doors and foyers with secondary inside door also help a lot (did that sentence even make sense?).

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Scamper, I agree that it is just not safe for a cat to be outside. A good solution might be a kitty door leading to a home made outside screened in (top also) play yard. You can make it as large as you want, and add a dead tree limb to climb. other high perches and toys. Otherwise, make sure your cat is in another room with the door closed or that someone is restraining him.

I remember that, as a child, almost everyone allowed their cats outside, but many of those cats "disappeared." My guess is they got run over, killed by other animals, or got infections and died. The life span is 3-5 years for a lucky (healthy) outdoors cat and 15 and more for a healthy indoor cat.

I am so grateful your cats are all right! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi, this is scampers wife, mrs. scamper, thanks for all the responses, i always wanted to keep our two cats in to begin with. i am so happy they are safe, these two are my first pets, as a child i never had any, i love them very much. i want to screen in our sundeck for them, but, mr scamper isnt buying it, these two are brother and sister and have both been fixed. we will keep them in going forward, so happy my babies are safe.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps, if they seem to miss the outdoors, your idea will also come to pass. A sunroom is great for plants too! (Providing they are not poisonous or so light that kitty will knock them over!)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I am too worrysome and scared to even think about letting them outside. I worry they will never come back, get hit by a car, killed by a dog, traumatized by anything out there. My babies belong in my house, safe with me and their toys and food. I know if they were once outside they will cry and want to go out but you have to be firm and eventually with persistence your cat will come to accept staying inside. (((=

·
Registered
148 Posts
My cat is an outdoor cat, and i really worry about her when she is outside.She loves it so much out there though, especially in the warmer weather, and i know if i tried to make her an 'indoor cat', that it probably wouldnt work. Sometimes she sleeps all day, so she is wide awake at night and just wants to go out. I hate letting her out, especially at night. A few times, i have gone to bed hoping she will settle down and sleep somewhere, but if she wants to go out, she will keep meowing and nothing will stop her. :?

·
Registered
107 Posts
When i got walter, he had bee abandoned then found by a crazy cat lady, so he was obviously outside. naturally, because of this, he wants to go out WAY badly. we have to stick our foots in the door everytime we go in our out, and my mom is constantly asking "wheres walter"?he is so bad that he has chewed through every screen in our house! my parents are in the process of building a new house, and are building a special greenhouse type inclosed deck just for walter!! but anyway, until then, my parents often walk him with harness. It actually helps him a little, and this is a way that he can go out, but you can still be in total control. good luck, and im glad ur kitties are safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cat behavior (obviously) varies with all cats, including their contentment with a wholly indoor life (which I would STRONGLY recommend!!!). For instance, although my two cats have never been allowed to set foot outdoors, they still cry to go out, and one of them, Sasha, has become quite the escape artist; she manages to open the screen door even when it is all the way shut. Thank goodness she of such a sweet disposition she is very easy to catch. When she sees me coming for her, rather than running, she immediately flops over and starts purring, so all I have to do is pick her up. I think she knows she's not supposed to be out, and that is her way of "sucking up." On the other hand, I also rescued an old stray a while back (she's dead now; died old, though) who absolutely refused to set foot outside again once she was indoors. I could even hold the door open for her, and she would not go. I think she might have been an exception, however. Cats like Sasha never seem to tire of trying to get out, and you'll just have to get used to keeping them in. A squirt bottle might come in handy, though.
In any case, keep your cats safe!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts