Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As new to this forum I've been trying to soak up a few bits here and there. But there's still a lot of questions, or answers I haven't found yet.

Having had regular cross breed cats for many years and then no cats at all for also many years, it feels like I have to start over with my own cat knowledge, especially when it comes to pure breed cats.

We'll get two kittens from the same litter, they are even twins in the look, compared to their other siblings. One male and one female (Sam & Suzy). There's still a bit of time before we get them, since they are not fully 12 weeks yet and still needs to visit the vet one last time etc.

I was suggested that as soon as we get home, we should place the transport cage near the litter box and the first thing we'd do is to put the kittens in the litter box, so they know where it is. And if we ever hear them squeek we'll carry them to the litter box, in case they lost their bearing of where they are.

We've also been suggested to keep a very calm enviroment the first weeks, so that the adjusment will be as pleasent as possible. Luckily I'm home 24/7 at the moment so I can be with them and keep an eye on them. My husband is also working pretty good hours right now, so we will be able to spend lots of time with the kittens.

But there's always things you worry about. Will they like this place? It's smaller than where they were born, no fun stairs to run up and down in etc. We've bought a little play center (or whatever you'd call it, with possibility to climb, scratch and also play with some hanging balls with catnip in them).

Will they accept the new food bowls, the litter box, the new bed etc? And how do we do it. We don't want to end up with starving cats for instance. Accidents happens, so I asume that we'll have to excpect a few of those before they learn to use the new litter box.

Is it possible to NOT have the cats in the bedroom? Should we close the door or put up a screen so they can look in? (a screen would be great in the summer when the apartment - on the third floor - gets very hot and all airflow that's possible would be good).

The rest of the apartment will be theirs, but I want the bedroom to be my husband and my domain. Not only because I don't like cats in my bed, but also becuase I have a tracheotomy tube and some cats likes to curl up near your neck and that would be bad for my breathing (plus I want to keep my breething air as clean as possible).

Another thing I've been thinking of, grooming. Does Siamese cats require regular baths? Brushing? When do you start if so and how often? Since declawing is illegal in Sweden that's not an option, so the scratching (play toy) pole will probably take care of the problems with sharp claws, but do you still have to clip them? If so, at what age do you start and how regular?

Is a spray bottle with water a good idea to keep the cats "in place". Like if they start scratching on the couch, could we "punish" them with a spray of water without them going totally nuts (or hate us forever)? A spray of water sounds to me as a gentle way to saying no, and it would keep them busy cleaining themselves off of the water and perhaps they forget to continue their bad behaviour.

All suggestions you have to make the adjustment to the kittens new home will be appreciated, so bring them on!

I feel like a real beginner now... scared but so happy to finally see these darlings at home soon. I can't wait to play with them, curl up to them or just chat with them.

I know you can't plan it all and you have to play things by ear when you meet a new challenge. But I like to be prepared and know what to do when an emergency arises. Like what if they don't like to eat the food, even if it's the same food the breeder has brougth them up with? What if they don't enjoy the litter box, even if it's clean and we use the same stuff the breeder does?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi!

I just posted this info in another topic but you can try and get something called a DAP diffuser for kitties that will help keep them calm and adjusted without medication. You can read about it on www.healthypets.com. I use the dog version for my greyhounds and it works like a charm.

As for a siamese needing a bath, I would say no. None of my kitties, including my Siamese never needed a bath. I brush them regularly and you can use cleaning clothes if you need to clean the fur in a specific area. Long haired kitties sometimes need a bath to get the matts out.

You can trim the claws yourself if you start on them young enough. Pet stores also sell little caps for kitties claws.

Kitties are very trainable and can learn what rooms they can and cannot go in. The good old spray bottle of water is helpful for that, or a "scat mat" on the sofa or at the top of a staircase can help deter them. My kitty has the run of the whole house but he knows not to go on the counter tops and coffee tables.

This website might have some info that is helpful to you as well http://www.peteducation.com/index.cfm?cls=1

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Freds Mom, thanks for your advice!

I will look into that DAP diffuser, the pet store just around the corner here seem to have everything and then some. Never seen a store that has so much stuff for just cats and dogs.

Thanks also for the link to PetEducation. I'm sure I'll pick up a few hints there too.

I'm glad to hear that kittens can easily learn where they are out of bound and not. That would help. My brother-in-law and his wife have a grown Siamese boy and he knows to never jump up in the bed with me while we visit, even if it can be as seldom as once a year (they live in Canada and we in Sweden). Which seem promising.

Mookie (the canadian siamese) is so intelligent, but he has a little fetish, he loves closets and sneak in there if the door is open. Then after an hour or so you hear him screaming for you to open the door, then he's done exploring it. :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
"DAP" stands for DOG Appeasing Pheromone; the feline version is called Feliway, although there may be some copycat versions available now. Just be sure you get the one for cats, I can just imagine what the cats would think having dog pheromones sprayed all over their home!

Indoor cats do not need to be bathed; they'll take care of it themselves, just like mommy taught them!

Spray bottles and other means of "punishment" are generally ineffective because you are not watching them 24 hours a day and therefore there will be times when they get away with it. Then, punishment will seem random and unpredictable to them, and will only serve to make them afraid of you--or else it will just teach them not to do the punished behavior when you are watching. Keep the door closed if you want to keep them out of a room! Installing a screen door is a good idea; but be aware that kittens can climb a screen door quite effectively, and the noise may disrupt your sleep.

Kittens are very flexible, and will readily adjust to their new environment. Especially since there will be two, to keep each other company. Chances are good that they will eat and use the box just fine, especially if you continue with the same types the breeder was using.

Good luck and congratulations!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I need to remember that name. Feliway. Thanks for that pointer.... and for all the other good suggestions! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts