Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had these problems with a previous male cat in the past and now I'm having them with my new male cat. Theo is a 16 month old male cat. He was found under a car in Chicago and rescued. He was about 6 weeks old at the time. I brought him home to my apartment where my 3 year old female cat was already living. I added a second litter box and all was well. We played all of the time and he liked to chase my female around. As soon as we could we neutered him. My female cat is spayed, however I couldn't handle the idea of an intact male. At about 10 months old my now ex moved out of the apartment so he didn't really have someone to play with all day. He acted out my taking the water tower off of their cat fountain and dumping water everywhere. So I stopped putting the water tower on there and everything was fine.

At 14 months old I bought a house and moved my cats in. My cats originally had their own room with a window to look out of, both litter boxes in there, and their food and water. I also had my reptiles in this room on a shelf. My male cat knocked over several tanks and almost killed my reptiles. So I closed that room off to them and moved their litter boxes to 2 separate rooms as well as moving their cat tree into my living room. They seemed irritated they couldn't be in that room but they dealt with it.

My male cat is now acting out. I first noted an area to the base of his tail with shorter hair and several scabs. I treated this but the scabs remain. He then started urinating on some dirty clothes I left on the floor. I attributed this to going 1 day over their normal litter box cleaning day and just washed my clothes and cleaned their box. But then last night I found out he had urinated on my work clothes.. when he had a fresh litter box. This morning I went into my walk in closet because the door was open and found about 5 sweaters on the floor absolutely covered in urine. He had pulled them down from the hangers just to urinate on them. He has been using his litter box normally and drinking normally. He has also begun to knock anything and everything off the table (like my drinking glasses) and break them.

I am at my wit's end with this cat. When I close both rooms off to him (as I fear he'll start urinating on my bed) he uses his claws to rip up my bedroom carpet from under the door. My carpet was brand new when I moved in and he's already making it look horrible after only 3 months.

Besides the rash on his tail he has also had a problem with eating or drinking too fast and throwing it up. But those are his only medical problems. He is on blue buffalo indoor dry. I have tried a grain free as well as a wet food diet. He refuses to eat anything but the Blue.

I hate to say this but I've been really considering taking him to a shelter. I cannot handle all of these problems anymore. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
All I know if my male cat at 16 months is a pistol too! I guess you need to get him to a vet to make sure there is no medical reason for the peeing. I can't leave much out because the cats knock it over if they are chasing each other. They also will get in my closets but not to pee, just to have some fun with my things. At night they will claw at some things in the closets and pull hall carpets under the door if they aren't tired enough. I just handle one area at a time and fix it so we can live together. My male has a lot of energy and strength. I do think a vet visit would be a start.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If the cat is neutered, litter trained and the litter box is clean all the time there could be a sign of medical issue if they urinate at inappropriate places. Bring him to the vet so you can determine if it's a blockage or behavioral (which can be stress related or territorial).
One of my cats used to regurgitate a lot. I solved it by giving him only pate wet and a little bit of meal at a time (a couple of teaspoons at a time).

Others use certain type of bowl and lift the bowl - I've never tried these methods.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he started peeing blood yesterday. Good thing I have a light gray bathmat, otherwise I wouldn't have known. He was really lethargic today and had a fever as well. Today was my first day off of work so I took him to the vet. They could only get straight blood from his bladder. And when they did an xray his bladder was completely full of stones. They thought he may have been in kidney failure so they took him to surgery and did some blood work. I pick him up tomorrow and have to feed him C/D only now. He hates eating anything besides his Blue Buffalo and Steak. Soooo I don't know if he's going to eat this.

Please cross your fingers he makes it through surgery and recovers well.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
The poor guy...the pain he must felt....
So glad you noticed the blood and got him to the vet!
Sending prayers and hugs!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked him up about 2 hours ago and he's doing well. His surgery and after care ended up costing $1200 and he will need to be on prescription food the rest of his life. Now I'm wishing I had pet health insurance. He hasn't tried to urinate anywhere besides his box yet since he's been home. He's vomiting up bile and won't eat, but the vet thinks he should be eating again by tonight. I'm hoping that's the case. I'm just really surprised by how fast it progressed. He didn't start acting up until very recently. Poor thing :(

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Poor little boy! As soon as I saw the bit about scabs on his tail and peeing outside the box I immediately thought about a UTI :(

I know your vet suggested the urinary S/O...TBH it's not a great food though. I saw you mentioned feeding him steak, do you think he'd take to a raw diet? That would be really healthy for him, especially with this urinary issue.

If you're not up for that then I'd suggest at the very least putting him on an all wet food diet. There's lots of good info in the nutrition forum about why wet is better, but for a cat who has had a major urinary issue it's even more important! He needs to be getting as much water as possible right now, like canned food turned into soup by adding warm water.

I hope he starts feeling better soon!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Aww, poor little thing. I bet he will start feeling better tomorrow. He could be throwing up from the anesthesia.

The prescription food isn't the worse thing. It is a balanced diet that keeps their urine ph levels in check. I would rather my cat eat that & know that it will help keep the crystals from forming than to give her food that can form crystals in her urine. Ya know? I know that there are differing opinions on here but I am on my 2nd cat with this problem & it is a female. Don't beat yourself up about the prescription food.

I hope your kitty has a quick recovery :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a dose of pain meds and a nice nap Theo is finally eating. I tried giving him a can of the c/d, no dice. I added freshly baked salmon and still nothing. Of course I set the dry c/d out and he goes right for it *sigh*. He's going to be a pain to convert to wet. Librarychick - I've considered raw, but as my schedule is so messed up I need something that can survive out for a few hours at a time. I sometimes work 14 hours a day so I'm worried about them either not eating until much later or the food going bad. It's actually really hard to keep any of my animals on a feeding schedule. My dogs are free feeding right now even.

He has been drinking a ton as well and peeing normally. He had 2 accidents :/ One small spot of bloody urine on my bath mat and peeing on the litter mat outside of his box. The poor thing has NO coordination after his buprenex and I think that might have something to do with not being able to get into his litter box.

My other cat hates his cone and has been trying to beat him up since he has it on. I took it off and put some fooey on his incision site. So far the licking is at a minimum. He is much more of my normal love-bug now. I'm so glad I was able to get him into surgery when I did.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
He's going to be a pain to convert to wet. Librarychick - I've considered raw, but as my schedule is so messed up I need something that can survive out for a few hours at a time. I sometimes work 14 hours a day so I'm worried about them either not eating until much later or the food going bad. It's actually really hard to keep any of my animals on a feeding schedule. My dogs are free feeding right now even.
Poor baby! ZombieCupcake, just do the best you can about feeding. Maybe try a timer feeder (?). It is more important that he get well and get his strength back.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
He has been drinking a ton as well and peeing normally. He had 2 accidents :/ One small spot of bloody urine on my bath mat and peeing on the litter mat outside of his box. The poor thing has NO coordination after his buprenex and I think that might have something to do with not being able to get into his litter box.
My kitty was getting a pretty lethargic and having coordination issues after his buprenex too. We ended up splitting up his dose. He was getting .3 ml every 12 hours (for a total of .6 per day). We ended up doing .2ml every 8 hours, which helped a lot with his overall energy level, coordination, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My cat had struvite crystals, and he blocked on labor Day, luckily we caught it early (no stones) and he didn't need surgery but had to get a cath put in to unblock him. To make a long story short it took two weeks of antibiotics and pain meds until he started acting and eating normal and not peeing blood. He eats Royal Canine SO and it works like magic for him. It only took three days to dissolve crystals in his kidney (He had a urinalysis done and there were crystals, then three days later another one and all the crystals were gone). He can only eat RC SO the rest of his life, no treats, table food, nothing.
Believe me I know how you feel, but your little one will get better, it is a slow process but stick to the prescription food. My vet also has me sprinkling Cosequin on his food every day which helps with kidney inflammation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts