Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that Cricket, my male cat, will sort of have his hind end up a little when he pees, sometimes even standing while he does it so that it ends up in a line in the box rather than a concentrated clump.

On the other hand, my female, Ellie, would tend to squat more, kind of like you'd see a female dog pee.

Is this how it usually is? The reason I'm asking is because my newest cat, Snow Kitty, seems to squat like Ellie did, but we thought he was a boy. Well, then we thought he was a girl. And then a boy. The vet went to spay him/her and couldn't even tell!

So the squatting is making me think about him being a girl again.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
The vet coundn't tell the sex of your kitten? I think you need a new vet? :? I guess it's possible kitty could be a hermaphrodite. Tho I admit I did had a kitten many years ago that had me fooled for a few months....called him M.G. for "My Guy", and when I finally realized it was female, still called her M.G. for "My Girl".

Usually, both males and females squat when peeing, unless they're "marking territory", and then both stand and spray.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Snow Kitty is fully grown and has very, very long fur. You really can't see anything there, and I certainly couldn't check him while he was still outdoors and wild.

The vet's tech initially said "female" because she didn't note anything obvious. Then the vet shaved SK's belly looking for a spay scar and saw none, so we scheduled SK to be spayed. When they went to do it the vet thought that SK was a bit too heavy...light? to not have already been spayed, so she shaved SK's belly even more trying to find the scar but still found none. They wet SK's fur "down there" to see what they could find and saw what they thought were testicles, but they were so small she figured SK must be a neutered male, but still she found no neuter scars either.

So we decided he's a boy and had been fixed already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts