Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo. I'm wondering, is there a significant and obvious difference between male and female cats? I hear that males can be much more affectionate and females are more independent/b!tchy. Especially, if the male is neutered.

I'm starting to see that in my two. Captain Jack loves being petted and if he's had enough he'll just get up and walk away. Miu on the other hand, will either push your hands away or if you persist, she'll smack you away. You can pet her but it's on HER terms....like at 4am she might wake you up for some pets.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Most of the male cats I know are very affectionate. As for my girls...Muffs doesn't like to be petted, cuddle or sit on my lap. Abby does, but only for a few minutes at a time. So, neither are as affectionate as the male cats I know...and I'd say both Muffs and Abby are more independent. But, I wouldn't say either of them are b!tchy. In fact, relative to the male cats I know, both Muffs and Abby are little angels. They're much less likely to get into mischief and they're much more docile.

Still, at the end of the day, I suspect both their independence and the fact that they're well behaved is more a function of their temperament than their sex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that that holds true in my household. My male cat is my cuddler, and my female is more witchy.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Never had male cats but only one out of 4 females was a real cuddle puss. The others are very independent and hate to be held. Although they do come to me for pets.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Both of my cats are affectionate, but in different ways. Pumpkin seeks out petting, but she is too hyper/ADD for me to hold her more than a minute (however she does allow my flatmate to snuggle her for larger periods of time...traitor ;). She might pop you if she gets annoyed, but it doesn't happen too often since I know how to read her moods now. She also likes to sleep on my bed at night up by my head :)

Simone is my whiny boy. He is very affectionate, but really only with me. He allows my flatmate to pick him up and/or pet him, but he only seeks me out. He's going through his bratty kitten phase right now, so he is a bit of a handful!

Basically, they are both very affectionate, but too ADD to be a lap cat...

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
With my vast experience of ever having 2 cats, a male and a female, I'd agree that the male is much more affectionate and easy-going. My friend said, "Boy cats are sweeter and dumber than girl cats . . . kind of like human beings." Now discuss. :)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Both my Devon Rexes are lap sitters but that's more a breed thing than gender thing. Generally speaking over the years, I've found the boys to be more demonstrably affectionate, whereas you have to earn the love from the pickier females. Once they love and trust you they can be as affectionate as the boys, though some don't always like being picked up (especially torties which can have a stubborn independent streak).

·
Registered
520 Posts
My anecdotal experience with three guys and one girl reinforces the stereotype that the guys are happy-go-lucky and the girl, Snowball, is prickly. She is at least as affectionate and sweet towards me as the guys, though. The behavior that makes her such a challenge is she can be grooming Little Hersh one second, and then, for no apparent reason, she swats him. This has happened numerous times, despite the fact she likes him. And one reason she doesn't get on with Blizzy is she will sniff him innocently one second and swat the next. He got fed up with that unpredictability pretty fast--when he walks near her, sometimes he flinches, sometimes he just stares her down. Hershey, too, has learned to keep his distance when she's feeling feisty, but he's such a sociable guy he was the very first to break through her defensive aggressiveness and convince her he wanted to be friends. But it's friends on her terms, not his.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Its a stereotype, which means most of the time its true, but not all of the time.

If you were to take 100 cats and count which ones were lap cats, you would get a larger percentage of males than females from the group, but thats not to say that many of the females weren't more affectionate than some of the boys.

Wesley on day one was a shmoozeler with a V8 engine purr and always wanted to be picked up or sit on you and get some petting action on. Buttercup has been more aloof and it has taken a while now to where now she too likes to cuddle up close just like her brother. But Wesley the boy will let you hold him like a baby or upside down or whatever, he just doesn't care. If you try that with Buttercup, you're bound to get scratched, and she's more easily frightened.

If going with kittens where you can't be confident of the personality, its a safer bet to go with a male if you want a lap cat and a female if you want a more aloof and independent kitty.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
With my vast experience of ever having 2 cats, a male and a female, I'd agree that the male is much more affectionate and easy-going. My friend said, "Boy cats are sweeter and dumber than girl cats . . . kind of like human beings." Now discuss. :)
October - too funny!!!

I have 3 girls, 2 are real sweeties although not clingy in any respect. Well, except for Lacey, but she's a Balinese (goes with the territory) and she's still a kitten. The 3rd is quite moody. If she doesn't want to be bothered with you, she will actually cringe from your touch and contort herself so you can't quite get to her. She won't run away or hide from you, just calmly let you know she's not having it. I like to think of it as she has limits and is not afraid to let you know what they are!

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
My mother has always claimed that male cats are more affectionate than female cats. Thats certainly the case with the two she has at the moment - Felix (male) is a little love bug while Willow (female) can be rather aloof.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Tristan is my first male (and the only one in a house of 6 women!). He's definately the sweetest most affectionate of any cats I've ever had. He's also pretty laid back.

My three females are affectionate when they want to be. Skylar likes to sit on a warm lap and can be all over you when she wants to be, but will quickly turn and swat or bite at you when she's had enough. She's generally the least social with the other pets.

Carson is a tortie who lives up to the reputation. While she loves to be pet and snuggle (either with me or rub up against the dogs) she can go from sweet to rancid hissy swatty in no time at all. She plays with Logan and Tristan a good bit, but at the same time will growl and hiss at them when they approach her most days. She's my bipolar kitty.

Logan is also a tortie but so far doesn't know it. She's sweet and keeps entertained with the other cats. Every few days she'll come up for a snuggle but its almost like she forgets I exist some days. I don't think I've ever seen her upset over anything (except scared - then she runs off and hides). Otherwise she's a pretty go with the flow kitty.

I think I would probably have more males in the future. If I decide I want more after these guys are gone. They are so much trouble most of the time that I may decide to try a house without pets later on in my life! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Huh, it's completely backward here.

Dusty, my little boy, used to be a cuddle-bunny. Now he only even likes to get petted when he first wakes up from a nap.. sometimes. Most of the time you try to pick him up, he squirms and cries until his paws are back on a solid surface. He always has his own things to do and can't be bothered to be loved, he's a very busy cat.

However, Bandit, my little girl, is always looking to be held! When she first wakes up in the morning - and then several other times throughout the day - she cries and circles my feet until I pick her up and hold her.
She is pretty finicky about it, though. You cannot cradle her, she has to have her front feet on your elbow to be used as a pillow. If you try to hold her while you're sitting, she'll jump out of your arms and run away. She requires that you stand for a half hour and pet her while she sleeps - so I guess she can still fall under b!tchy ;-)

·
Registered
69 Posts
My little girl is a cuddlebug but also very feisty and playful. I noticed she is the one who gets "mad" easier, like if I leave for hours she seems more offended than my little boy, who is more of a layaround and loves to be held and comforted all the time... but he's a wiggle worm and never can sit still when you want to cuddle with him!

Also, she seems to want to have more attention sometimes, especially if she sees me holding her brother. She also is more of a daredevil than her brother and less likely to listen when I tell her "no".

·
Registered
41 Posts
I admit that when we started to think about owning a cat, our first cat btw, I was more inclined to get a female because I always had the idea that they were more affectionate and docile (don't know where I got this idea really, might be related to the fact of having had a female dog some years ago and she was the most sweet and docile). We ended up with a male cat because my boyfriend felt very strong about having a male cat.

As I say, this is my first cat so I cannot contribute a lot with an opinion but I can say that at the end it was a good/wise decision because our male kitten is the most sweet cat, very affectionate, following us around to every corner of the apartment, demanding a lot of attention and company. He's not a lap cat but he always wants to be sit or laid next to us. On rare occasions he jumps to my lap and stays there for a quick nap but never for a long time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts