Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know I took in a stray that we think is pregnant :roll:

I have been trying to feed her canned food twice a day with free-feed dry...like Dr. Jean recommended. Problem is, she will not eat her canned food. She takes a sniff then walks away, but she will eat A LOT of dry food. How can I get her to eat the canned food?

Thanks
Abhay

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Have you tried a different brand or flavor? Some cats are just picky...

With Scully, she really likes it if we warm it up (15 seconds in the microwave max), and add a little kitten formula. She laps it right up :p

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You can't *make* a cat eat anything it doesn't want. Cats who have never had canned food often do not recognize it as being food at all. Feed her whatever she will eat, as much as she wants, and make sure that it is a food that is approved "for all life stages" or for "growth and lactation."

Some ideas for getting her to accept canned food are in the following article, but you can't restrict food with a pregnant cat so you are a bit limited there:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... chingfoods

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When she was living outside the caregiver fed her canned food twice a day. She would eat that(probably because she was starving)...but she won't eat any canned food at my house :roll: I have tried many flavors....even 9 Lives & Friskies!!!

Thanks
Abhay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts