Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might sit down and have a good cry. My mother works at a place that has outdoor cats and she brought home fleas and now my poor baby has fleas!!

I don't have the money to take him to the vet yet. He was a sudden addition to the family. Long story (see my previous threads for details).

I hear frontline doesn't work. I used some gentle kitten shampoo on him with just a tinsy drop of dettol and then blow dried him (poor thing). It seemed to work fine, but some got back on him because of the mats in the house. So now he has no bed and no mats to sleep on because he lounges on everything. I don't want to put another down because it will just get infested too.

What flea remedies do you suggest? He is about 9 weeks old. Do you think I should use advantage or frontline? I already shampooed him and I read that I should only bathe him once a month?

Please help. It'd be nice to take him to the vet, but I am still saving for that big trip...*sigh*

·
Banned
602 Posts
Bathe him in Dawn dishwashing soap. It will kill the fleas and then he wont be exposed to anything harsh. This is what my vet recommended. Make sure to vacume well everything in the house that you cannot wash.Between vacuming and washing you should kill the fleas. My vet doesnt recomend flea spray. He says the other is just as good and enviromentally friendly. Your kitten will feel better too. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
There are safe flea sprays for inside the house and I would definitely recommend using them. I had to wash everything in the house that could go in a washing machine, vacuum and then vacuum again, and use the spray. I put Frontline or Revolution on the girls (can't remember which), but I got it from my vet. There are a lot of imitation products out there I wouldn't trust.

I would give the poor little guy something to sleep on. You can always toss it in the washer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put my towel out. He didn't use it. Guess he's not used to it. I'm washing his bed today. It's hard to do such heaving washing, since I go to the laundry mat. I dont own a vaccuum since we hard ceramic tiles. I am going to soak the mats in boiling hot water.

I sprayed him with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. I need to hunt up some brewer's yeast. There are some that say 'unbittered'. I figure I should the regular, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts