Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about two or three days ago he started nibbling his food (kitten chow). I noticed last night that he was leaving food in the dish. So I gave him some wet food (friskies) he didn't eat much of it. It was in the fridge a few days, so I am not really holding a candle to that.

This morning a opened a fresh can of friskies' pate. I gave him just one two teaspoons. He ate about a teaspoon then later in the day he had half of the other teaspoon. I had put out fresh kitten chow, which stills looks untouched.

I noticed that his poo was a little watery, it wasn't completely watery but it was a dark dark greenish yellow, like dark mustard. There was poo forms but very moist with watery poo around and only a little. He did this last night and this morning.

I decided to tray him with some greek strained plain yogurt, I gave him this for diarrhea when he was younger. This was a different brand though, idk if that matters. The probiotics in it would clear out whatever was making him poo like that. But he had just a lick of it and didn't want anymore. Then like a minute later he vomited up his meal from this morning. Poor thing was terrified, never new anything could come out the front end 0_o

What am I to make of all this? Does he need a change of food? Was it this particular brand of yogurt? Any home remedies? Anyone had this experience? Do you suppose something is seriously wrong? Please help.

He plays just fine. Still kneads is sock and such.
Malto is almost 39 weeks old.

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
If he's not better in the morning, I'd be off to the vet with him. I wouldn't wait until Tuesday.

I hope he gets better soon and it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So an update on Malto:

He got over the diarrhea a day or two later. I fed him some pumpkin and brewers yeast. He's eating....ravenously. Has me concerned, Half a can twice a day right?

I feed him one can of friskies a day. But he acts like he hasn't been fed in ages, sniffing to the point he sounds like a pig or something. lol...is that nomal?

I completely stopped feeding him the kitten chow and he's now solely on the friskies. I recently learnt that the best, most expensive dry food is worse than the cheapest wet food and I found that shocking but plausibly. Cats wouldn't eat dry stuff in the wild.

Anyhow he has since been pooing less, not everyday. Before he used to go at least once a day. His stool is soft but formed. Should I be concerned about this? He pees slightly more regularly than that.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
If he's ravenous, feed him more. He's still growing, and his growth requires additional nutritional support. 5.5 oz of canned food isn't nearly enough for an active, growing kitten, though it may be enough for a sedate, fully grown adult.

Laurie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okies he's 9 months old now, how much should I be feeding him? I feed him half the can every 12 hrs. The 5.5oz can of friskies.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree. Kittens can be fed as much as they want, they need it to grow and they burn calories fast.

If you can afford it, you can also opt to feed grain-free since cats are strict carnivores.

As for the diarrhea and appetite, if it isn't improving, then it really is a good idea to go visit the vet.

For reference as a guideline, a 5.50z can is usually enough for an adult 10 pound cat for the day. Obviously this depends on their activity level and also the individual. Along with this guideline, you should also 'feel' your cat up. It's optimal when you feel just a bit of the ribs. Lastly, you should also look at their profile top-down. They should have a bit of a waist, an indent about 3/4 of the way towards their hindquarters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts