Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cats recently gave birth 6 days apart with my docile cat, Boots, having her's first. The far more dominant Tootsie went NUTS wanting to care for Boots' babies. I figured she would calm down once she had her own litter but not so much. Tootsie still comes running when Boots' babies cry and she'll even stop nursing her own to "rescue" a kitten having a bad day. Today she even stole some of Boots' kittens (leaving one of her own behind) and hid them behind the couch. Is there anything I can do to deter Tootsie from wanting to take Boots' kittens without locking them up separately? Boots is very submissive and won't even try to stop Tootsie even though it obviously distresses her.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of kittens? Are these poor dears rescues that you are fostering? It takes a special person to help these girls safely have their kittens and get fixed so they don't have to suffer any longer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boots adopted us and we adopted Tootsie to keep her company. The week before their vet appointment to get fixed, they both went into heat and one of the kids let them out. Of course they were both pregnant at their vet visit so no surgery. The vet offered but I couldn't bring myself to do it. They're both getting fixed ASAP once the kittens are completely weened and I already have homes for 6 of the 9 with a possible home for a 7th.

Tootsie stole a couple babies again this evening. I really don't want to split them up but I'm afraid I'm going to have to.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have seen queens share a nesting box after birthing close together. Is the dominate female keeping the other away or can they coexist and share the responsibility?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boots isn't happy with Tootsie trying to take over her babies. She's too submissive to actually do anything but it's easy to see she's unhappy.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
If Boots is unhappy, I would split them up. It's possible for two queens to share all the kittens together in one big box if they both have plenty of milk.....but if Boots is uptight she may not be letting her milk "let down" as easily as Tootsie, so then the kittens will likely prefer to nurse off her, and then there is usually lots of fighting between all the kitties trying to nurse off "their" teat. It's more work for you feeding and keeping them separate and maintaining an extra litter box, but I think it would be better for Boots' esteem and self-confidence and her kitties in the long run.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had somebody come look at the kittens and they want to take Tootsie and 2 of her kittens. This solves my problem but leaves poor tiny Boots trying to nurse 6 kittens. I have to think that one over for awhile.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
...they want to take her now? Away from her very young kittens and before she's spayed?

Honestly, I think that's a very bad idea. If they want to adopt her then awesome, but tell them they will be waiting until the kittens are at least 8 weeks (10-12 would be better) and you've got at least Tootsie spayed.

Anyone who insists on adopting a mum with two of her young kittens and leaving the rest is NOT a home I would give any kitten to.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
...they want to take her now? Away from her very young kittens and before she's spayed?

Honestly, I think that's a very bad idea. If they want to adopt her then awesome, but tell them they will be waiting until the kittens are at least 8 weeks (10-12 would be better) and you've got at least Tootsie spayed.

Anyone who insists on adopting a mum with two of her young kittens and leaving the rest is NOT a home I would give any kitten to.
^^ all of this. Sounds a bit odd to me to want to adopt a cat and some of her kittens but not all. I would insist on waiting the few months it takes and get her spayed.. and frankly if the kittens are 2 pounds by then opt to early s/n them before sending them out.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Not a good idea....definitely wait until the kittens are 10-12 wks. old....They need that period with momacat to learn their socialization skills (control of bite and claws and learning cat body language) to make better pets. For small cat 6 kittens is too many to nurse...she would be worn right down and lose weight. This person imho does not sound like a good candidate for a forever home. If these people are not willing to wait until the kittens are 10-12 wks., then I would forget about about them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I haven't checked back in awhile. We've been pretty busy with end of the year sports and academic awards ceremonies. I've decided not to let that family have Tootsie. My friend who has admired Tootsie since we got her has asked for her once the kittens are all weaned. The mamas are actually co-parenting very well now but Tootsie is still pretty dominate over Boots so I feel it best to let Tootsie go somewhere she can be an only cat and get all the attention in the world.

We have homes for all the kittens but one!!! They will be staying until the end of June to give them plenty of time with their mamas. Several of them are working on canned food now and one even wandered over to the dry food today. They're jumping and playing all over the place and my 6 year old gets upset when they're "fighting" lol. He's worried they'll hurt each other. Too cute!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Ideally the kittens should be with mom and siblings until 12 weeks to learn the social behavior they need.

Good on you for working hard to find them all good homes. :) Are all the new homes planning on spaying/neutering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely they're all getting fixed. I've been searching for homes for these kittens since the vet confirmed they were both pregnant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts