Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of people getting plague from cats before. One man got Pneumonic Plague (the airborne variety) and died while trying to get a sick cat out from a crawl space. Plague is fatal to cats, but not dogs (or as far as I know any canids) who can carry it. Once diagnosed in people, though, it's susceptible to antibiotics so there's no great worry these days. However, it is something people should be aware of.

Plague confirmed in Oregon man bitten by cat - Health - Health care - msnbc.com

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reading further, he has Septicemic Plague which is the worst kind and not so easy to treat.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I want to know why he thought it was a good idea to take a mouse from the mouth of a stray cat. I mean it is very unfortunate he is so ill and I would never say someone deserves that but COME ON.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to know why he thought it was a good idea to take a mouse from the mouth of a stray cat. I mean it is very unfortunate he is so ill and I would never say someone deserves that but COME ON.
I wouldn't want try that with a healthy cat.

I've just done a search using the terms 'plague - cats' ,and there is a lot more information available on cats and plague, including its signs and symptoms and treatment.

I was trying to get news on how the man was getting along.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Black plague is endemic in the ground squirrels in the far west and seen sometimes just east of the Rockies also in squirrels and in southern populations of some pararie dogs. There are antibiotics and prophylactic treatments, but no actual vaccine.

I have to say, taking a mouse from a feral cat is a very stupid move. I am not surprised he developed septicemic plague; and it is the hardest to treat, but one of the easiest to stop as an epidemic. Pneumonic is the worst for an epidemic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts