Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son moved into our house with his 3 year old spayed female cat. THis was at Thanksgiving. She has been confined to his bedroom and only let out when Mango is put into my room. They have been behind closed doors, sniffing and knowing each other is there. Jazz is not an overly friendly cat, not really liking anyone but her daddy.She doesnt like to be held or petted much, spends a lot of her time under the bed. I know this is strange for her, but she was like this at her other place. Mango is neutered and 1 and a half years old. Very laid back, just the opposite of Jazz. Cant get enough attention and love. Two weeks ago, I put Mango on a leash and let Jazz out. She growled and hissed, Mango was just curious and no hair raising, hissing or growling. For the last week, the door has been open, and Mango goes into the bedroom without the leash. They see each other, but neither one runs and attacks each other. Jazz either hides under the bed, or she is in the windowsill. Mango will get within 1-2 feet from her, he whines like he does when he wants me to play with him, but she growls and hisses. He keeps whining. Today Jazz was in the bathroom sink taking her daily bath, she loves water, and Mango comes in and gets about 2 feet from her and she growls and hisses. Mango backs away. He is such a sissy! I think she is the boss. Oh! One day she was out and came down stairs and when Mango saw her she ran and he chased her, but when she stopped, he stopped too and just looked at her. It was not an attack chase. Does anyone have an opinion or advice about this meeting? Will she ever want to play and be social? Mango will just wander around the bedroom getting closer and closer. Today he layed under the bed where Jazz usually lays. What a dork! I guess he wanted to find out what was so special about being under the bed. :D He wants so much to play with her that I feel so sorry for him! :cry:

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
All on their own time and terms. Since there isn't any real aggression, I'd just let it run it's course. One thing that could help is getting them interested in some interactive play together....laser pointer, fish pole with a feather...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, for the last three days, the bedroom door has been open and they both are in contact with each other. Jazz seems to run the roost, but today poor Mango jumped up beside her on the window sill and she wasn't too happy. She growled and hissed. Mango just got closer then the smack down began 8O.They both looked like two girls going at it with their hands, growling and hissing. Mango backed down and Jazz hid behind the curtain hissing and growling. For the most part, when Jazz growls , hisses and makes weird noises, poor Mango will hang his head and come down stairs. He JUST wants to play and I feel bad for him. I am just worried that they will get into a big blowout and one of them will get seriously hurt! Anyone experience this?[/img]

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I was growing up, we had two male cats. One was older and one was younger... and they did not really like eachother. They got into a number of scuffs over the years... but no one was ever really hurt. They were both neutered... so I suppose they didn't have the raging horomones to drive them to really hurt one another. Well... after many years of this, one day they just started tolerating eachothers' presence. They still didn't like eachother... but if they both wanted to be on the couch at the same time, they would allow one another to be there. Just no touching! LOL! So I guess... in your situation you'll just have to do what we did and let them learn to tolerate eachother on their own time. It may take longer than you think! So patience would be good here. I know your younger one probably just wants to play... but if you're expecting the other one to just all of the sudden start playing with him then you're probably dreaming! The sad truth is that she probably really doesn't want to play with him and you can't force it. They will develope a relationship with eachother in their own way... and perhaps not in the way the younger one is hoping for (having a FUN new playmate I mean).

·
Registered
874 Posts
I seriously doubt there will be a big blowout...seems that Mango knows Jazz is top cat. It doesn't appear that Mango wants the "top cat" position.. I think he just wants to be friends/play with Jazz. Mango may never accept him...but will probably grown to tolerate him. I would try the playing interaction and also feeding and treats is a good bet too.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about a kitten in the future for Mango when my son or if my son EVER moves out again. :D I guess I am selfish because I am Mango's life and playmate right now, he sleeps with my hubby and I and he HUGS me at night. His leg around my neck, whether I am facing him or not. I don't want him to quit this affection and needyness of me if I ever get him a true playmate. He has to be with me most of the time and is always wanting me to be his playmate, I don't know what I would do if he didn't do this anymore. I guess I will just have to wait and see after Jazz is gone. I am just as needy as Mango is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts