Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pre-op History - :cat
Unfortunately Marge escaped before her spay date and, though I didn't want her to have a litter, and am ashamed to say (due to the already bursting population of beauties), she had 5 kittens on April 1st. She developed Sepetic Mastitis 1 week in to giving birth (they were hungry little devils and very very clawy!).
She was a very sickly girl, nearly dying, and needed two courses of amoxicillian antibiotics and three nights hospitalization, IV fluids and intravenous antibiotics before her recovery.
I hand-reared, pooped, fed, peed, groomed and hugged the babies for two very tiring but rewarding weeks.
Because she wasn't getting any better and was still producing milk, the kittens have been taken in by a surrogate cat mama and human helper, much to mine and Marges regret. :sad2
I would have liked to have kept them. Marge made a very good mother indeed. She misses them, I can tell.
She has been well only about 7-10 days before the spay.

So, to prevent further litters and complications, Marge (9 months) was spayed two days ago at a low-cost clinic.
The day she was spayed she went in at 9am and I collected her at 2.30pm.
I am not sure if they used Ketamine to sedate her, I know there can be post-op issues with this sometimes and can cause prolonged lethargy.
The day she came home she was restless, extremely stressed and, until the evening, did not sit or rest no matter what I tried to calm her down with.
On a side note - She is not good at all spending time in the clinic, she's extremely scared of the place as she had a very distressing time when she had to stay there for the mastitis and hasn't been the same since. :-(
When I picked her up her pupils were huge, she was panting, had pooped all in her carrier and was mewling weirdly, it really brought tears to my eyes on the journey home and now she hates plastic bags, bright lights, clicking fingers, microwaves and men. God only knows what happened.

When she'd settled back to home life she was so playful, though I didn't instigate this due to wanting her to rest, knowing it would aggrivate her wound and stop the healing process. However she couldn't help herself but play with her toys, so I removed them from the room she was in.
She then decided to climb the curtains, play with the carpet sides, jump on and off of the window sill constantly and generally moesie about the place quite friskily until the late evening. I tried, albeit in vain, to help her on and off the sill, but she was too nippy most of the time. At this point she became a little withdrawn, quiet and very tired. During the day and night she ate two plain fish fillets and a syringe of water.
Today (day 2) she is quite withdrawn and very tired, having slept most of the day away, and her character seems depressed and quite uninterested in food.
She has eaten half a handfull of dry biscuits and half a pouch of wet food with encouragement and hand feeding from me, not like her as she is usually quite a hungry lady (I've heard they require less food after but shes eating next to nothing).
She has gone to the toilet a few times since she's been home, number 1's only but I understand this may be due to her lack of food intake. Today she has gone only once, it is now evening.
Her wound site doesn't show sign of infection and doesn't feel hot to the touch. Neither does she, and she isn't seeking out the coolest place, panting or moving slowly. Her belly also doesn't seem to be larger than usual.
She seems in quite a lot of pain, normal I guess, she mewl-growls if I go anywhere past her shoulder blades or past the top of her chest. Her breathing is normal, she doesn't seem to be running a temp, she keeps letting out little mewls so I go to her but I don't see anything she is trying to tell me. :sad

Is she displaying normal behaviour? Is my concern justified or am I being a worrywart?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Drugs. She's on kitty drugs.

I had the same behavior with Fay after she was spayed. She thought she was a kitten again and made jumps she never did pre-stitches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think she's probably fine. From memory, I believe that what my last girl was like after her spaying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dave ph and Poetess, thanks so much for your comforting posts! It's so hard not to worry for them isn't it, I'm just glad to hear back that this is fairly normal behaviour. Phew.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You are very welcome. It's totally understandable to be concerned. You and your girl have been through so much with the infection, kitens then the surgery. She seems to be acting fairly normal for this. If over the next few days you become concerned over anything new, you can always call the vet and check with them. I'm sure they'd be happy to speak with you. She sounds like she has a loving home and a good kittymom to look after her. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aww thanks so much Poetess, that's a lovely thing to say. It's been a trying time for her these past few months the poor little furbunch, she's been through the wars and all I want is to see her happy and contented. She doesn't understand at all why she's so sore or why she feels 'odd'. In an ideal world I wish I could talk Cat to let her know what's happening, as silly as it may sound. I will definately take your advice in regards to calling the vet if it continues. It's great to find a place on the web to share concerns and to get proper feedback from fellow feline lovers :-D

·
Registered
336 Posts
That's a much slower recovery than I've ever seen in older cats. Mine have always come home and bounced right back, I recently retired one of my breeding girls, she came home early afternoon good as new and no pain in the following days.

Hope your girl feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'd start to be concerned with this on day 4

"She seems in quite a lot of pain, normal I guess, she mewl-growls if I go anywhere past her shoulder blades or past the top of her chest. Her breathing is normal, she doesn't seem to be running a temp, she keeps letting out little mewls so I go to her but I don't see anything she is trying to tell me"

Maybe call your vet and ask

1 - 8 of 8 Posts