Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know cats will spray when marking their territory. Do they also poop to mark their territory?
My 6 month old un-altered male kitten pooped on the dinning room rug, luckily he is on a raw food diet and his poop is small and hard. The litter box is is a bedroom. He has never not used the litter box before. Even if he is eating a nice juicy steak he will stop in the middle of eating and go to his litter box and go to the bathroom and then go finish eating. My vet won't neuter him until he was 6 months old. So I'm wondering if this was a one time accident or the start of him marking his territory and he could start spraying anytime now?
I clean his box twice a day even though he doesn't care and will use a dirty box.
I was trying to wait a little longer before I neutered him but if this is going to be the start of a problem I will have him neutered this week.

· Registered
5,669 Posts
Cats can be neutered at 2 months at age. At 6 mos., the hormones are flowing and yes pooping as well as spraying can be considered "marking". Find another vet ASAP and have him neutered, before this becomes a habit. Make sure you have used a good pet cleaner on the carpet where he pooped, even if the poop was dry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.