Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Riot will be 5 months old on Monday. Tonight I noticed him massaging Lincolns side as he was laying down, then he grabbed Lincoln and started to gently hump him (his rocket was out and everything :S)..poor dog. Anyway. Why is he doing this? This is a recent habit. I am uploading a video of it on you tube and will post it here when its done as you tube is slow tonight.

How can I stop this or should I not worry about it?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No he has not been neutered yet. Hes 5 months old and goes in to be neutered end of February, already got the appointment made.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Kittens can reach sexual maturity as young as 4 months. Neutering will slow down his "drive," but it might not go away completely since he's already picked up the habit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main reason I wanted him neutered is to prevent spraying. The earliest I can get him done is the end of February as this vet is the cheapest and he will only do it at 6 months. Which he will be at the time. If he starts spraying and neutering doesnt stop it, or he starts to spray after he is fixed I will not be a very happy person.

So because hes humping, he may very well spray too and neutering will not do anything for it

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
A lot of cats (my two includeded) like to massage anything that is soft and squishy, like a blanket or a person's tummy (unless you've got 6-pack abs!). It reminds them of their early days with momcat. The treading makes a momcat "let down" the milk and kitties quicklly learn to do that. It's really a comfort thing for cats when they're older, like a kid who sucks his/her thumb. As far as the humping is concerned, his hormones are flowing and he's becoming sexually mature. Yes, I hope for your sake he doesn't learn to spray before he gets neutered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts