Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was home all day, I had strep for about 5 days. And Max started throwing up at about 1 pm. First solids all his food, then liquid stuff and then white foam. I guess his tummy emptied out and there was nothing left at that point. He threw upo a total of 17 times in a span of 4 hours. I freaked out and by then my vet was closed. Max became very lethargic and didnt want to eat at all. I took him to the 24 hour pet hostpital and they said he was very dehydrated and had to keep him overnight on IV fluids. The vet there was an angel, super nice. They took xrays and didnt see any form of foreign object but his bloodwork came back with very elevated white count. vet says he has some kind of infection probably intestinal, they have him on antibiotics now. Could I have somehow prevented this. I'm a mess with Cutie passing away not to long ago I am a complete wreck :(, I feel like maybe i could have prevented this or done something?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I hope you are on antibiotics too & feeling better soon!

You are doing the best you can for Max. I think you are just feeling guilty tht he got sick too; not sure you could have prevented anything.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nan, and yes I'm on antibiotics too :)
The vet hospital called me to tell me he is doing a little better, he ate a little food this morning and they are just waiting for him to poop and pee to check that out also. He may need to stay overnight again :(. His blood work came out all normal with the exception of his white cell count which was 32.86, they said normal was 3-17, so thats double. I guess I am just pretty bummed out right now... and broke.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Glad he's a bit better. I don't think you can prevent anything when a cat gets sick, you are doing the best you can for him.

Hopefully it's just a stomach bug and he recovers quickly. You two are in my thoughts. Good luck and hope you feel better soon too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to visit Max last night they wanted to keep him there on IV fluids. He seemed way better. He just hated the IV thing. When I got home I went to do the normal kitty litter scooping for Cleo. And I found throw up in the garage, now I could swear that I had cleaned up everything Max threw up, Or I'm absolutely losing my mind. I immediately cleaned everything went to Cleo and fed her, she ate a bit then purred and was her normal cuddly self. But now I'm scared that whatever Max had was contagious and now the other cats could get sick. When i get Max home I should isolate him? How do I know for sure Cleo is ok? Sigh I'm just so frustrated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
All you can do at this point is watch Cleo and see if she gets sick. It could be you just missed something Max left.

As for quarantine, talk to your vet, but chances are that if Max had it and Cleo hasn't gotten it, she probably won't. Just like in humans, sometimes I get a cold but my hubby doesn't.

Good luck and hope Max is better today!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts