Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maya was meowing this morning to get our attention (it was the first time she did this). My boyfriend went with a book in his hands to go read in her safe room and pet her at the same time. This is not what she wanted... she dashed out of the room the second my boyfriend opened the door (even if he had his foot blocking the way, she jumped over it).

All the questions we had regarding what would be the best timing to introduce all the cats were answered...lol :D

Anyway, it went not too bad. Actually, I would say it went well for a first intro.

Maya first ran in the living room where Patch and Treize were. When she saw them she decided to hide behind the couch but soon got out and looked at them from the side of the couch.

The three cats first meeting (sorry for the mess!):

She hissed and growled each time one of our boys (or us!) approached her. Treize went on anyway.

She went on exploring the living room and Patch followed her (she eventually turned around and hissed at him but no swatting):

Three cats:

Maya:

Patch went on investigating her safe room while she explored the rest of the house:

She was out for maybe an hour and a half and in spite of the hissing and growling I think it went well. No fights! Except one between Patch and Treize for a few seconds.

Patch looks scared of Maya though. He runs away when she growls or hisses at him. When she hisses or growls at Treize he just replies and doesn't go away. I thought Patch was our alpha but I think Treize might be the alpha with this new cat group.

We are thinking about repeating the experience each time that we will be home for more than an hour in a row. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Firstly, she is so gorgeous!

It looks and sounds as if it's going really well. It's a good sign that they can all be in the same room together like that.

When we brought Mitzi home, we had the same sort of hissing and growling- but no swatting or fighting. It just took a little time (only about 2-3 weeks), and then they settled down and were sleeping of the sofa together.

You have a lovely cat family!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maya thanks you for your compliments! :)

Thanks for your feedback Abbie, it's really appreciated! I wasn't sure if it was going well or not. I'm glad to see that you had the same situation with your cats.

We kept the door of Maya's safe room opened all day and it will stay open until I go to bed. Maya and Treize still hisses and growls each time they come close to each other but no fights. On the other side, they can both sit a few inches apart from each other and be okay.

Except for the occasionnal hissing/growling, all the cats did their usual activites today. They even shared their litterboxes, water bowls and food bowls... :D

They mostly slept all day. According to her last owner, Maya used to sleep in her cat bed all the time. She now has a new favorite sleeping spot since she arrived (never slept in her cat bed since she is here):

Bonus picture! (Maya in Treize's favorite sleeping spot)

·
Registered
683 Posts
It looks like it is going great. Just don't leave them alone unsupervised, not yet at least.

Hissing and growling will stop, I´m sure. So don't worry :)
Try to play with all of them to see how it goes, a laser pointer works like a charm.

Good luck! They are all gorgeous :love2

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I envy your floors! I have wall-to-wall carpet... and a geriatric cat with bladder and stomach problems. I sort of just gave up cleaning, and I am starting to save my money to get solid floors. I really don't care if it's hardwood, tile, linoleum, vinyl, etc. - just no more carpet! Solid floors I'd just have to wipe up a mess with a paper towel, maybe a little spritz with cleaner. No more scrubbing and SpotBot-ing!

And that's not messy. MY place is messy! (Which is why I never post pictures! LOL)
Yup, you do have a very nifty little family there ^_^

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It looks like it is going great. Just don't leave them alone unsupervised, not yet at least.

Hissing and growling will stop, I´m sure. So don't worry :)
Try to play with all of them to see how it goes, a laser pointer works like a charm.

Good luck! They are all gorgeous :love2
I agree :D This is great advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts