Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's my question. My cats are completely switched over to an all-wet diet, and I notice they like to eat in more frequent, smaller meals, so I end up feeding them at say 9am, 2pm, 7pm and perhaps a snack around 11:30 pm, (since I work 2nd shift, this is usually their dinner time).

Is it okay for them to eat more, smaller meals? I'm giving my bigger, older cat (23 lbs.) about 1 1/2 5.5 oz. cans and my smaller kitten is getting one 3 oz. can. Is this enough, and is it okay for them to eat them in smaller portions at four times daily?

Thanks,
Lisa :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I feed my adult cats 5.5 oz. can a day (per cat) in 2 feedings - morning and evening.

Maugli (our little baby) gets food 3 times a day (I close her in a different bedroom so the other cats don't bother her) and she can eat as much as she likes.

I think you could give your older cat just one can instead of one and half. That's just my opinion; I might be wrong.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Your 23 pounder is being fed about the right amount. Dr. Jean recommended 9 ounces of wet food daily for a large cat. I fed my 19 pounder a can and a half divided into three meals every day and now he's under 16 pounds. He still usually gets a can and a half. He'll only get one can if he hasn't finished everything in his bowl.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Imatarb...
Bosco is only eating about 6 ounces per day of wet food...
I just weighed him the other day and he still weighs 17 pounds???
So...I guess I should not worry. No weight loss yet.
I feed him about 4 small meals also....if I put too much in the bowl.
He will not eat it which results in me just having to throw it away.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
BoscosMum said:
Imatarb...
Bosco is only eating about 6 ounces per day of wet food...
I just weighed him the other day and he still weighs 17 pounds???
So...I guess I should not worry. No weight loss yet.
I feed him about 4 small meals also....if I put too much in the bowl.
He will not eat it which results in me just having to throw it away.
I don't have experience with it but I think that it takes some time till they start loosing weight. When did you start feeding him with wet food?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's only been a few weeks for my big guy, so I'm not expecting any major weight loss for a while. I posted in another thread that his coat is dramatically different. It's shiny, silky and smooth. He looks gorgeous!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Gotcha!

Usually I recommend feeding whatever they will eat in a specific time period, like 1/2 hour. With more feedings in the day, this does allow for the potential to overeat. Are these amounts "per feeding" or per day?

Cats need at least 2 meals a day, preferably 3; 4 is fine, as long as it doesn't put a burden on you and is convenient. If you can't be consistent with the times then perhaps 3 a day would be simpler.

It also sounds like they're doing well and utilizing the food better! The weight loss will come. (I have had a handful of cats that *didn't* lose weight on an all-wet diet, but they were a lot healthier overall, and that's what really matters!).

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am following your advice, Dr. Jean, and I'm giving my kitties small amounts, and when they finish that (heaping tablespoon or so), I will give them a smaller amount more. So far, this has worked out great...they are finishing what I give them, and they are satisfied. The food is put up once they are finished. I generally give them about 1/2 hour to finish their meals.

So far, the big cat is eating just over a 5.5 oz. can per day and my kitten is eating about 1 1/2 3 oz. cans per day. This seems fine for them, but I wanted to make sure that they are getting enough. I think I read that wet food is more filling, so I'm sure it's going to be a bit less of an amount than dry food, right?

Thanks, Dr. Jean!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts