Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 4 cats in our house. Oliver is a 2 1/2 year old, independent, bossy, 13 pound Maine Coon mix of muscle and fur.
Stella is 1 1/2 years old, 6 pounds of love and kisses, and very afraid, with good reason.

Oliver's been around since June 2004 and we adopted Stella (the 4th cat) this past May.
From May through late August all was well. Then he got nasty. Very, very nasty.
He treats her like prey. He stalks her and pounces on her and the sounds are horrible. Horrible!
If she walks into the kitchen (or any other room) he blocks the doorway so she can't get out. Twice today she pooped in the kitchen because she couldn't get past him.

We've done the seperation, the Feliway, the toy distraction, the play time, the constant treats, the new cat tree, the everything!

She will not defend herself. She will run and cower and it's so sad.

Mike (husband) is saying that if we don't find the solution to this that we have to find a home for one of them. This is very unlike Mike. Our cats are our children. But this behavior is baaaad.
Please advise.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
You've tried all the do-it-yourself remedies, now you need professional assistance. A feline behaviorist might be able to help you. Ask for referrals from vets, local shelters, and local humane associations. Ask for an in-home consult. This will cost you around $75 for consult plus telephone follow-up.

There's no guarantee this will work and you may have to rehome one of the cats. I've gone through this myself and that was the end result for me. I'm very sorry. :(

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Tim is likely right on. But one more thing to consider...are both cats medically sound? Have they been to the vet since this started? I have a very large male (17lbs) who sounds a lot like Oliver and had a much smaller female...all of a sudden Kobi started really picking on Callie and it was because she was sick. In addition some illnesses may cause aggressive behavior (e.g. hyperthyroid). Your cats are kind of young to have any major illnesses like this, but it is one more thing to rule out.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Yes. I was assuming you'd already had their health checked, but maybe I was assuming too much. That's the FIRST thing a behaviorist is going to ask, so if you haven't already ruled out health reasons, you may as well do that now. :wink:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I agree ..make sure there are no underlying medical issues. I have been through a similar situation before and felt like I had really tried all I could. I ended up having to rehome one of the cats. It was very hard and hurt like **** but I know in the end it was best for everyone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
this is the problem I have (see my post re. Young male problems

I've had all my cats checked and they're fine - the only time the fighting stopped was when we were on holiday and we put them all in a cattery!

If Fudge would give him a proper belt, then I reckon he'd leave her alone, but she won't so he sees her as weak :(

My problem's not as severe as the OP's though, hope you get it sorted out Lankakitten :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts