Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat can be quite mean. My younger sister is scared of him and if anyone except me touches him, he'll bite, and he'll bite hard...
Does anyone know of anything that could break him from being so mean?

·
Registered
44 Posts
can you give us a little more history on the cat. How old is it, where and when did you get it, is this new behavior, ETC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got Prince about a year ago. He has been that mean since I got him. His previous owners had declawed him and from what I saw when I was picking him up, their kids would always bother him.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
It sounds like your cat is on a defensive mode and looking at his past, I don't blame him. It's hard to change once they are treated a certain way when growing up but you can try to feed your kitty treats and play with him if he likes playing. If he likes canned food maybe you can get some other ppl to feed him some canned food and gradually feed him treats. Hope he gets better! :lol:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
mean cat

A lot of cats turn mean after declawing. Having lost their primary means of defense, they bite instead. The chronic discomfort in their feet makes them grumpy. As far as I can tell from research, this discomfort never goes away. Declawing alters their gait and causes arthritis a few years down the road. Plus, they can't stretch and exercise their back and shoulder muscles like they should. So declawed cats face many disadvantages and it's no wonder they so often develop behavior problems.

Not much can be done about it--once you cut your fingers off, they're gone. Hopefully as he settles into your lives he will be less testy about being handled once he figures out there's no threat as there may have been in his former home. So some of those extra emotional issues should sort themselves out over time.

I just created an essence formula specifically for declawed cats; haven't tried it on many yet, but it's intended to address both physical pain and psychological trauma that come with declawing. I'm very hopeful that it will make a big difference for these poor kitties. See http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... ritessence for info on how essences work.

Play therapy might also help, by engaging his hunter instincts and getting him to come out of himself for a little while each day. Plus it's fun for one and all! See http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012 in our free article library for toy selection and how to play.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts