Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has this honery black cat that refuses to get along with the other animals. She attacks my dog whenever she sees her, she starts fights with the other cats, she chases poor Gracie whenever she gets a chance, and if we use the squirt bottle on her when she's scratching the furnature or something, she revolts and pees on the floor or on the couch. We've had her to the vet for bloodwork and a physical, so we know the problem isn't medical-what can we do to get this cat to behave? I've had her since she was abandoned at 7 weeks old, and I really don't want to get rid of her, but if she won't get along with the other animals in the house, I may not have a choice.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Please don't get rid of her, Gracie's Mom. I am sure there is something stressing her out - causing her to act this way. Please tell us more about her - I am sure with so many willing people to help here there will be a way.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not wanting to get rid of her really. She's been this way for a couple of years now, she's just gotten worse lately. I know she hates Gracie, and she's been hateful to her ever since Gracie showed up, but she normally just ran away from the other cats, now she's fighting with them too and picking on the dogs. She's really a good little cat, I'd just like to figure out a way to work her through these problems so she'll be happy here, becauses she's making it obvious to me that she's not happy.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Oh poor baby - I am sure she may see a rival in Gracie. Play with both babies at the same time and reward them - with lots of equal attention & treats . They need to associate their being together with your loving them. Best of luck Gracie's Mom!
ps what is the kittie's name?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also, I'd say stay away from punishment, although I know that sounds hard. She's already showing you what most have found: punishment doesn't work on most cats. I'm sure I'm in the minority in the cat world but there are many positive ways to redirect her aggression w/o resorting to the water bottle. I agree, by the way, play is the best way to deflate that energetic balloon. Tell us more about how the attacks are occurring, what they look like, etc.?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts