Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again

Luna’s eyes are dilated whenever she gets very playful or whenever we give her a treat, can their eyes mean something or be telling us something?

Thx for the replies

·
Registered
676 Posts
The eyes tell lots of things.
It's nice to see another person that really watches there cats to notices lots of things like this.

Me, I can tell right when a cat is going to pounce/strike what have you just by looking at their eyes, I learned this years ago, with my very playfully/aggressive Mainecoon.

The eyes are also normally dialated if they are under a lot of stress, sometimes sick.

However, if your my Tagies, they are dialated ALL the time... he doesn't need no stinking irises :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Just as with human beings, cats' eyes dilate to allow more light in. Their pupils are capable of dilating much more than human beings' eyes; that's why they can see in areas that have very little light.

Quote from http://members.tripod.com/~CatBrat/Abou ... -Eyes.html

The pupil size and shape are controlled by the iris muscles. In cats, (like most nocturnal hunters), the iris contracts into a slit in bright light to limit retinal light exposure. The smaller aperture also improves acuity and depth of field. In dim light, the cat's irises open, allowing the pupils to dilate to almost 90 percent of the irises area to catch all the light it can.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've read that cats' pupils dilate at times of excitement or emotion - and I'm sure most cats get excited about being fed or played with! :) My cat's pupils grow huge just before he pounces on a toy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts