Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally picked up the 13oz cans of evo(I'm sad more companies don't make cans in this size) and you guys are right, it's soooo much cheaper per ounce. The only problem I have is that I have no clue how to portion this out properly. I don't have a food scale so what do I do? Just eyeball it? I have two cats who are on wet

·
Registered
786 Posts
They are both at a good size so no need for losing/gaining :). Ok few that makes it easier! Did you feed the whole can in the same day or did you make the second meal something different so they don't get bored ?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Good idea! I once let it sit in the fridge for a day and even after I brought it to room temperature they looked at it me like I was insane then walked away. Lol luckily they have become less picky but I hate to waste. :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I only have one cat but buy the big cans. She eats a can in five meals.

When I first open it I just scoop out a portion I *think* is about 1/5. Then I put the rest into a tupperware and quarter it. I figure that a 1/2 oz or so difference per serving isn't a big deal as long as she gets the same amount of food every few days.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I weigh mine.

Put their bowl on the scale. Zero it out. Scoop out 2 ounces (mine get two ounces 3x a day). Put the next bowl on there. Zero it out. Scoop out 2 ounces.

(THen I add hot water to both and mash it up before they get it).

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I first open it I just scoop out a portion I *think* is about 1/5.

This is pretty much what I do, except I do each can as 4 portions. I dump the can into a square tupperware container, smooth it out, and divide it into quarters. One portion for breakfast (room temperature), then refrigerate the container. For dinner and two meals the next day, I put a remaining quarter in her ceramic serving dish and heat it in the microwave. Works out well.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So would you recommend putting any left over food into a container instead of back in the fridge with a lid? That's usually what I do

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have the lids that fit all cat food cans and I put those on the can and back in the fridge.

I HAVE left the lid off and put the can back in the fridge uncovered before. :p they were all in the dishwasher and I had no clean ones. Both cats (even Book!) refused to eat the food. I imagine it got refrigerator smells in it and dried up some. Now at the very least I cover it with saran wrap if my lids are all dirty.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Haha same happened to me before. I use lids too but once I put Saran Wrap on but it came off . I even mixed tons of water in it and they practically gagged when I tried to serve it to them . Lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
I never store food in the can personally. I bought special storage containers (with lids) just for my cat <labelled "Cat" 'grin'>. I usually make up 4 days worth of food at a time. She eats it just fine. I feed her twice a day, 1/2 a container per meal and warm it by setting it in warm water and then mixing some warm water into it to add even more liquid to her meals.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I just... eyeball it. I dont know anyone that does anything else. Sometimes I give a quarter other times half. The leftovers get a pet lid on them, or saran wrap or even a plastic bag. The food is at most in the fridge a few days without being used, no different from leftover human food I'd eat (besides that I don't eat the cat food :p)... I'm not worried about it going bad or about leaving it in the tin; it's sat in the tin for who know how long, I'm sure another few days won't kill anyone. The cats don't care if the food is cold, so no issue there either.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I actually have a digital scale that I use every time. I guess I'm a perfectionist when it comes to measuring it out .. not sure why! The only time I don't use a scale is on the rare occasions where I'm just giving half a can (6 oz cans) and will be giving the other half that night. I figure I don't have to be exact as they will get the whole amount by the end of the day.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Refrigerating in the can even with a lid on it is not healthy. Most cans, including pet food cans, are sprayed with BPH to keep the metal from leaching into the food. When you scrape food out of a can, you damage the BPH barrier. I use tupperware and store in the fridge and reheat in the microwave. I find my older cats like warmed food better than room temp.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
If I don't do it for myself (moving uncooked food from a tin into tupperware) I'm not going to do it for my cats. Likewise, some people believe microwaves and certain plastics are unsafe, I agree. But to what degree? We all still use them.

Maybe you really scratch at your tins or something, but I'm not gold mining, a lump of food falls out and I put a lid on the tin. The only time I scrape is at the bottom when the tin goes in the recycle after.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's actually why we put Io's into a container from the can. I would never store food in the can in the fridge for more then a few hours, so if the cat food is going in there overnight it gets shifted to tupperware.

But if we're feeding her the 5.5oz cans for any reason, we'll use the universal lid like MowMow has. Our's is even shaped like a cat face. awwwww.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I get 5 servings from a big can, I just eyeball it, but my cats are all small, 3 of them are 6lbs and the biggest one is 10lbs. Any unused or uneaten food I put into a glass pyrex bowl with a lid and feed at the next meal time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts