Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so everyone always says that by-products are so terrible and everything, but it's made me wonder.... in the wild, they eat the whole animal, right? Not just the "good" meat... so why are they so terrible? I understand that they'd be bad if there wasn't ANY real meat in the food, but if it's just one of the ingredients, it can't be THAT bad, right?

*prepares to get attacked*

edit: clarity

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Having some by-products in a food isn't bad in itself, but it becames a problem when it constitutes a large portion of the food. By-products do not contain as many bioavailable nutrients and so are not as good of a protein source as muscle meat. Also, the listing of by-products means the manufacturer can use what ever body part is cheap that week, so the nutritional value can change from batch to batch.

Another problem is that many of the foods containing by-products also contain other undesirable things such as a lot of corn, unnecessary carbs, fillers, unnamed meat sources and dangerous preservatives. So having a bit of by-products is completely natural, but you have to really watch were it lands in the ingredients list and what the other ingredients are.

·
Registered
628 Posts
By-products in the industry are FAR WORSE than by-products that a cat would normally eat. The ones in the industry are...
moldy
from diseased animals
have fallen on the floor and became dirty
feet, feathers, fecal matter are all considered "by-products"
8O

Now, in the wild, the by-products are clean, fresh....and my kitties DO NOT each feathers or feet when they catch a bird. :?

I have seen many healthy cats that are fed Science Diet, and the first ingredient is "poultry by-products"....YUCK!!!

Abhay

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Yes I remember hearing something about the four D's of meat by-products in pet food: Dead, Downed/Dying, Diseased or Decayed. *shudder* Definately go for the purest you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts