Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was reading about the 95%, 25%, & 3% canned food rules and I have some questions.

Are there any canned foods that are 95%, and of so, how do I tell????
Nutro's products say "&"....so does that mean they are 25% or 3%?
Innova's canned food says "formula"....so does that mean they are 25%?
Are the Friskies only 3%?

Thanks
Abhay

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I am on my way out the door for a doctor's appointment, but...

As I read the regulations, the "formula" designation indicates that the named meat ("chicken formula") must comprise at least 25%, but not more than 94.99%, so that's a huge big gray area that you'll have to fill in by comparing the ingredient list to the nutritional analysis.

Wysong makes canned meats (labeled "Canine/Feline Diet"), which must be mixed with other foods to be nutritionally complete. Old Mother Hubbard also makes a 95+% meat product (for dogs, IIRC), called "Neura." By law, only products that are 95%+ of a named meat can carry a name like "Chicken for Cats." I'm not at all sure that such foods are well-balanced nutritionally as a staple, but I would consider using them as a component in a home-mixed diet.

Try the following website for more information:
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/consumer/petlabel.htm

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
(Gudewife and I posted at the same time)

The only canned food I know of that falls in the 95% rule, is Wysong. Since it is entirely meat, it should be fed on a supplemental basis only. I would guess that any food that fell in the 95% rule, should only be fed as a supplement (there are other nutrients cats need, other than *just* meat).

As for Nutro, are you talking Nutro Natural or Nutro Max? I don't know the ingredients list for either, so I can't really say. I'm betting, however, that they fall in the 25% rule. If they end in dinner, pate, supper, formula, feast, or other similar words than they fit in the 25% rule.

Innova falls under the 25% rule. Don't forget however, that a food that contains 90% meat and a food that contains 25% meat are labelled the same. At that point you should examine the ingredients list. Innova has much better ingredients than Medical (prescription food), but obviously contains more meat and superior ingredients.

The Friskies that I have seen still fall in the 25% rule (ie: Whitefish and Tuna Dinner). The & just signifies that the Whitefish and Tuna *together* must amount to at least 25% of the food. Tuna must also comprise at least 3 %.

Under the 3% rule, this would include foods that use the word 'with' on the label. For example - cat stew with beef. This food must contain at least 3 % beef.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts