Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although the kittens are super cute and we love them all to pieces, we've got another cat with us that breaks our hearts.

She came in about a week ago... skinnier than anything I've ever seen, old as dirt and looking pitiful. She was laying on the side of the road and someone stopped to see if she was even alive, she was barely there. They brought her to us and we're slowly nursing her to health. She's been vomitting on a regular basis because of how severely malnourished she was, she's just not used to eating. I think she's finally levelled out to where she can eat a few small meals a day and keep it all down.

Her hair was extremely matted and smelled horrible, so we shaved her down and have given her THREE baths so far, but she keeps pooing on her towel and laying in it :roll: Since she's so naked, she gets chilled easily and we keep water bottles in her cage to keep her warm. Someone had an idea - so we went out and bought a bunch of baby onesies to keep her warm! She earned the name Barbie because she's got quite the wardrobe already, and she seems to like the clothes :)

Anyway - that's her story. One of the techs seems to really like her. She takes her out to wander around, feeds her, all sorts of spoiling. She's a very sweet cat who loves to be touched, but she's just in such bad shape...

She has a really stylish black sweater... but I haven't had a chance to take her picture in it yet :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vets estimated her around 10, don't know what they based it on.

She has about 4 teeth left in her, and they're all worn down. She can still chomp up some dry food though, actually prefers it to the canned.

We gave her fluids the first day she was here, and even since then have been able to literally pick up the skin along her back, fold it to one side and watch it stay. Its gross.

I don't think she's put any weight on since she came in, but may finally be to the point where its possible.

One of the receptionists wanted to name her Hope. "as in Hope she makes it!" :lol: I know its mean, but it was a lighthearted thing, I promise. I really like Hope better than Barbie anyway.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
She needs some polishing, that's for sure. However, I think she has some serious potential to become a beautiful cat. :)

Keep us updated, hopefully she finds a nice home.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
I agree with Padunk. Her markings are so PRETTY!!! She could be very very lovely looking with a full coat. I really "hope" she pulls through too. She looks very skinny though but I did notice her face, particularly her eyes, looks healthy. Keep us updated! Wish I could have her! :cry:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
What a sweet baby doll! Barbie is gorgeous to me the way she is! And to resist on her own until this stage - it is amazing.
Thank you for sharing her story with us.
Make sure you give her many hugs from me :heart

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is so great of you to do that for her and nurse her back to health. Big props on this and you should get some kind of award for it lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aroo?

It looks like her tail is mostly gone... is it just curled? (it could be blending in with her mottled color). Or is she a Manx?
If I could take her, I would! Awwww!

I've heard that it's mostly kittens that get adopted first, which is understandable. Cute, AND easier to train. But I've always liked older cats, and "special needs" ones. I think they're just as nifty, because they're unique!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Poor kitty. I hope she does well. One would think that if she is 10 years old she once had to have been someone's pet. Makes you wonder if she got lost or abandoned.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What a pretty face and eyes. Coat is unusual, you can visualize how pretty it will be when it grows out! Hope she hasn't suffered any irreversible damage from geing so malnourished and dehydrated. Her face abd eyes though do appear to look healthy. Hope she does well. Thank goodness someone found her and knew where to take her. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
She looks so adorable in her pink outfit. I hope she recovers well, because she looks like a real sweetie. HOPEfully she can put on some weight and find a good home.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I like the name Hope better too, and I don't think it's cruel at all. She really is a beauty, and it looks like she's a little bobtail! :) I think she's precious and I hope she does well and finds a home.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Poor baby!! :cry: She has an adorable face and beautiful markings. She'll be really something when her fur grows back. I do hope she recovers from all she's been through. And I agree with Forjazz, Hope is a perfect name for her. Good luck with her!! :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts