Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On April 2nd I brought Ginger home from the streets of the neighborhood I worked in to have her babies in a safe environment and to help do my part in stopping the pet overpopulation. Although I didn't bring her into my home, I brought her into my life and my heart (not to mention my checkbook). She lived in an outdoor enclosure and gave birth to and raised 5 beautiful healthy babies, 4 girls and 1 boy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find Ginger a furrever indoor home, but she does have furrever outdoor home here with me now.

On monday Ginger was spayed and her life is now forever changed. No responsibility no heat cycles, just living life for her. So Tuesday night she got her first taste of life out of the cage since her babies were about 2 weeks old. She wore a harness and leash--teaching her where she lives first and can't let her roam from until she is healed from her surgery. She has been out each night since on the harness and leash--and is taking to it well for an adult who has never been on one.

Here she is enjoying the porch--she was scared to leave it at first--but now loves laying in the grass.

Enjoy!!

Leslie

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't she? I wish I could capture her attitude when she walks, she walks and then lays down and rolls in the grass for me to rub her belly. She's just so at peace now.

Leslie

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
I know 'zactly how you feel. :luv

I called up my friend to go to the pool with me last night. My husband is working late-shift and I can't swim well, so I always like to have a buddy with me. Anyway, when we got back she came in for a few minutes and started petting a cat and asked: "Is this a new one? I've never seen this one before?" I turned around and...

She was petting PRETTY! :yikes

Pretty is a former feral. The MOST feral, feral I've ever tamed. It took me 4yrs to bring her from completely feral to trusting housecat. Heck, it took me 14mo from time of TNR until I could just lightly *touch* her fur as she was eating a plate of canned food! In the last 6mo my husband has been working with her, trying to get her comfortable around him...and it is working, though he cannot pick her up w/out her struggling to get down, yet. She *loves* to parade back/forth in front of him so he can pet and massage her. ALL the cats love "daddy-fingers" because they are big and blunt, not poke-y like my thin and long-fingernailed fingers. I'm good for scratchings and scrubbles, Daddy is good for finger-massages. And bowls of milk. Pretty is getting a fat-belly because of him. :wink:

Anyhow, Pat came right in and started petting Pretty, and my jaw almost DROPPED to the floor, I was so surprised that Pretty let her walk right up to her and pet her with no problems. Major breakthrough. Major! So, yeah...I completely understand when you face that moment of knowing you succeeded in changing a cat's life.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Kudos to you for taking her in!! She must have been so happy to have a safe place to have her babies!! Her eyes are absolutely gorgeous. :luv

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
This has been such a great story. You really stuck your neck out for her, and she must really appreciate it. Ginger is a cutie and I hope someone adopts her soon. In the meantime, I know you're taking good care of her.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your sweet thoughts. I firmly believe everything happens for a reason. I did what I did simply to better Ginger's life and lives of her babies. As I watched her venture through the backyard last night, and often pause andlook to me for reassurance, I knew I had bettered her life and by spaying her I may not have stopped the overpopulation of cats, but I did what her prior owner didnt. I stopped her from adding to the overpopulation--and at this point thats all anyone can do. Her little girl attacked my pant leg this morning and I felt so relieved to know that she'll never have to go through what her momma went through.

Leslie

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
...aaahhh... That's gratitude, for you! You give them a wonderful life and they try to shred your clothes. :mrgreen: Nothing says "love" like a kitten hanging from your pants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts