Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I wanted to upload a few pictures of two kittens that my wife and I found in our barn. I am thinking a long-haired male cat has recently come into our area. We have found cats/kittens in our barn multiple times, but most have been domestic short-haired tabbies, bicolors, or solid blacks. oh, and a few calicos.

1) Gypsy (Calico on left side of pic, the little sister) and Truffles (her big sister). Probably 5/6 weeks old.
2) Truffles at 5/6 weeks
3) Truffles earlier tonight. She did not want her picture taken and I think she wanted to go to bed. 4 months.

I would ask a favor of those who view Truffles' picture to give me their opinion of what type of coat she has? Her belly is white with a thick black band, and all four paws are white. Coloring on her right side is almost identical to her left side (as shown). All 4 foot pads are solid pink. (If needed, I can get my wife to take some additional pictures, as she does a much better job than me). The groomer says she is a long hair, while she says Gypsy is a medium coat. Speaking of their coats, it is amazing how soft their coats are, but when I look at Truffles, the first thing that pops into my mind is matted and dirty. Which could not be further from the truth.
Why is this important? Honestly, it isn't. I just had one vet say she was a Tortoiseshell and another vet referred to her in the Calico group. I went out online to try and figure it out myself. I think she is a tortoiseshell and white. Then I started looking up things about coloration, because I thought her color was different (diluted? chocolate?). Then I looked at her pattern (which I think is diffused) and then I began to think about colors. If black and orange are side by side, wouldn't that look like brown from a distance? So what color am I "really" seeing? Then I read something else about the individual hairs could be different shades/colors from one end to the other. I am not even going to say the word, "Chimera." I see my psychiatrist next Tuesday. (I am a psychiatric nurse of 20+ years, lol)
Seriously, we love them both, and it is a pleasure to watch them grow and their personalities develop.
So, if you know or have a guess, please drop it below. (My knowledge base of cats is amateur at best.).

Best to you and yours!
-Jeff/Cyterreo

Cat Felidae Carnivore Textile Comfort

Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Window

Cat Carnivore Felidae Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
I would say longhaired for both but it's not easy to tell at this age. My twins had spiky hair at first so it was hard to tell. And yes, Charlee always looked surprised in her pics when she was a kitten.

Cat Vertebrate Felidae Carnivore Whiskers

I call Truffles' coloration "Phantom of the Opera". Mesmerizing, I could look at those little faces all day.

I believe your little ones are Tortoiseshell colored.

Tortoiseshell cats have particolored coats with patches of various shades of red and black, and sometimes white. The size of the patches can vary from a fine speckled pattern to large areas of color. Typically, the more white a cat has, the more solid the patches of color. Dilution genes may modify the coloring, lightening the fur to a mix of cream and blue, lilac or fawn; the markings on tortoiseshell cats are usually asymmetrical.

Occasionally tabby patterns of black and brown and red colors are also seen. These patched tabbies are often called a tortie-tabby, a torbie or, with large white areas, a caliby. Not uncommonly there will be a "split face" pattern with black on one side of the face and orange on the other, with a dividing line running down the bridge of the nose. Tortoiseshell coloring can also be expressed in the point pattern, referred to as a tortie point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very cute kitties!!! Yep, like Marie said, tortoiseshell colored, I've heard some call it brindle too. My son has a cat colored like Truffles same split pattern on her face, but his cat has very fine fur. I also agree with Marie that they could be longhaired but yes, its a little early in their life to see how the fur will turn out. Keep a brush handy though!!:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts