Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My name is Maya...but most people ditch the 'A' and just call me May.
I have a cat, well, a kitten really. I got him today and we called him Harley because he hasn't stopped purring yet and he sound exactly like a Harley Davidson motorbike.

We live in Perth, Western Australia and share our house with a dog, two rats, a fighting fish and five hermit crabs. I am fifteen years old and have one older sister and an extremely annoying younger brother. We all love animals and are happy to have Harley as a part of our family.

My mum owned cats when she was younger, but I've never had one. Our little baby is six weeks old and we would love any tips you can give us on helping him adjust. We are trying to put him in the litter tray when he starts looking as if he need to go to the toilet and we've given him lots of things to play with and cuddle up in.

I look forward to learning from you guys on this forum,

May and Harley x

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Hi May: Harley is absolutely adorable. I can see why you’re happy to have him. And it's nice that he purrs so loudly and seems happy. I had an annoying younger brother when I was 15. That was many years ago, and he’s not so annoying anymore. So, not to worry, brothers improve as they get older.

If possible, it would be best to put Harley in his own little safe room for now, a room where he can start to get used to the sounds and smells in your house, but away from your dog. If you don’t have a spare room, perhaps your room would work – but only if your Mom says that’s ok. Otherwise, perhaps you have a room that you don’t use much, which could work as a safe room for now. Put Harley's food, water, litter box, toys, etc. in the safe room and let him get used to things for a few days. Make sure his litter box is not close to his food and water, since kittens don’t like going to the bathroom beside their food. It’s also best if his safe room doesn’t have carpet (if that’s possible). Once he starts running around the room looking confident with his tail held high, you can slowly start to introduce him to the rest of the house and other animals. Introducing Hershey to your dog will likely need to be done slowly, although sometimes kittens and dogs will be friendly very quickly. If Hershey and your dog have not yet been introduced, below is a link to an article that might help you with the introduction. You can also google “Introducing a Kitten to a Dog” to find other helpful articles…or your Mom might have done this before, in which case you should listen to her.

http://www.myhealthycat.com/cat-and-dog.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks so much for your help.
We are keeping Harley in my room as we don't have a spare room. We don't have carpet and we are keeping the litter box and food and his toys and scratching post in my room too. He is eating well and hasn't had any accidents yet. We've got him into the tray every time so hopefully he'll learn pretty quickly.
I put him in his bed last night and turned off the light. When I woke up he was cuddled up in my arms, still purring. He is very playful and very cuddly and loves sitting on me. We have walked around the house, holding him, and let the dog see that he's there but they havent been properly introduced yet. Our dog is mostly an outdoor dog anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for the link and everything,

Maya

·
Super Moderator
26,353 Posts
Welcome, Maya!

Harley is adorable - more pictures, please! :D

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Welcome, May! Harley is soooo cute. I have an orange kitty but I only got him a year ago and he's 2.5 years old, but I often wonder if he looked like your little guy as a kitten :D He sounds like he's adjusting nicely!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Your pictures look like they were on a greeting card or something! Beautiful shots and as you can see, I love the orange boys too. :luv

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahaha i always wanted an orange boy.
when i was little i had a toy one called marmalade and i always imagined myself having a real marmalade one day.....sadly, the name didn't suit my kitten :(
hahahah, its probably not the most original name for an orange kitty anyway.

Im glad you like the photos :)
My dad loves photography and has taken mostly scenery shots over the last few years.
This year we went to a protest down at our local horsebeach to stop it from closing and my dad took the campaign pictures. it turns out that he really likes taking animal piccies and Harley absolutely loves modelling :p

will post more shortly, i have some cute ones of him sleeping on my bed!

* and good news, Harley is litter trained. in two days! he meows when hes in my arms if he needs to go to the toilet and if hes down on the ground he just runs off to his box which is absolutely awesome. he is also getting along quite well with the dog so far. they sort of give each other space and dont try to charge each other which takes an extreme amoutn of self control for my dog. hes big and a bit protective of his family and always chases outdoor cats so we are glad that he has realised Harley is a part of the family now. he almost looks afraid! haha.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Hi Maya: Those new pictures should come with a cuteness warning!! What a little sweetheart...and well behaved as well. It's sounds like you and Harley are having a fabulous time together.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Harley is adorable! He even looks a bit older than 6 weeks. Very healthy looking
ginger boy! You dad is very talented. Hope we get to enjoy lots more pixs of Harley!
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll get my dad to take some more pictures of Harley soon.
The lady I bought him from said he was six weeks and he was very small last week when we bought him. Now that he's being fed good food and getting lots of attention, he seems to be growing by the day!

I bought him, thinking he was just your average ginger tom, but after seeing the post "My Baby Bengal - Tora", I see heaps of similarities between the two. Tora is grey (of course), but her markings are identical to those on Harley.
I typed in Bengal Kittens on Google, but all of those are spotty. Tora and Harley look nothing like those cats....are there different types??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes he is adorable! My little guy will be arriving home on May first and he looks a little like your Harley. He's mostly orange and white... I'm going to name him Oliver I think :)

I love kittens but even at my age (29) I've yet to really have one of my own so I'm learning alongside ya!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aww, Harley nearly ended up being and Oliver....mostly because of that movie Oliver and Company (or something like that) haha. Good luck with him :)

And thank you, i think the pictures are adorable too :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts