Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Moose. He is my first cat, I've always grown up with dogs. I adopted him through my local SPCA right after Christmas. His previous family left him there for being "too cuddly". Crazy people. I was looking for an older cat (Well, I wasn't really looking for a cat at all... I just go over occasionally to volunteer and get my fuzzy animal fix). I've always had older dogs. The shelter told me he was about 2 years old. My vet told me she pegged him around 9 months in January. So that makes him just under 1.5 years old right now.

He is about 13lbs right now, in January he was 12 and the vet wanted him to be closer to 11lbs. I know he's an adult, but I still feel like he's been growing slowly... I hope he doesn't get too much bigger!! He's been great with my parents' dogs. He enjoys going for car rides. He is also tolerating his leash rather well, it's a work in progress. His personality is pretty awesome. Not like any other cat I've had the experience of meeting. He's really mellow. Wants to hang out all the time. Nothing really phases him. You can do anything to him. And well, poor cat, I kind of do...

I'm actually contemplating seeing if he'd pass the requirements to become a certified therapy cat and we'll visit hospitals and retirement homes to visit people who miss their pets.

Without further adieu, here's Moose:

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
OH MY GOODNESS! Moose you are one Very Handsome Boy!! :D
In the Bathtub...With Water!
You have taken some wonderful shots of Moose! ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
O M G!!!!! What a cutie! He must either be a Himalayan, Siberian, Ragamuffin, or a Ragdoll!!!!!! He might even be a Snowshoe cat! What a handsome kid!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Aha the best part was the drumroll sort of, "And HEERE'S Moose" and then it was the picture of him in the toilet! :D

He is one gorgeous boy, and I don't usually say this about shelter kitties, but he definitely looks like he has some Ragdoll/Ragamuffin in him! Could be wrong, either way he's gorgeous.

ps. If he does have either of those cats in him, he might end up being quite a big boy! They tend to be big cats :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the lovely comments everyone!!! :D I'd never been much of a cat person before Moose. I volunteer at the shelter (usually with he dogs though) and when I saw him through the kitty window something made me go in and see him. We just kind of clicked. This was on Christmas Eve, I ended up taking him home with me December 27th as the shelter was closed for Christmas and Boxing Day. I'll admit, he may have been a bit of an impulse decision, but I couldn't imagine being without him now! <3

It's taken him a while for him to really become his own. Poor guy went through A TON!!! First he got ditched at the shelter by his family. Then I adopted him, but we were living at my parents for about 2 weeks (I can't remember why) Then he gets moved into my house, after about a month, we have 2 house guests. 8 yr old sister kitties that were going to be euthanized if they didn't find a foster home for them ASAP. I can never say no..... Then my roommate lights my kitchen and some of my house on fire, so we move back into my parents' house while the restoration crew is working for 2 months. And now we're back at home, and he has to get used to a new roommate.

He is pretty good at taking things in stride, but he is pretty sensitive. And he gets really annoying. Meow meow meow meow meow. All day and all night. Not to mention he is kind of grumpy because I refuse to free feed him, and have put him on a raw food / diet. He isn't happy being rationed and hasn't been shy telling me ALL about it.

Anyways, talk is boring. Pictures are where it's at.

I've had some extra free time on my hands, but I've been really broke what with the fire burning all my stuff and trying to pay for school. So I've taken to knitting. Still kind of expensive because I want to buy nice, soft, high quality wool. But now I've got lots of toques and scarves etc for Christmas gifts. Moose isn't so thrilled though. Because he is on the receiving end of my knitting lately. He doesn't hate it. He'll accept that he is wearing his sweater, but you can tell that he's not exactly thrilled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH MY GOODNESS! Moose you are one Very Handsome Boy!! :D
In the Bathtub...With Water!
You have taken some wonderful shots of Moose! ;)
Yeah, he was FILTHY when I had given him that bath. You can kind of tell by the colour of the water. Moose is a fully inside kitty, I have a harness and leash to take him outside on. When the fire happened, and I was living with my parents during the restoration, my mom accidentally let Moose out by forgetting to close the front door. My parents; 2 dogs usually just wander in and out of the house in the summer time at their leisure so the door gets left open. Well, he was missing on some grand adventure for about the most terrifying 8 hours of my life! My parents live in a semi rural area, and there are many coyotes. And these coyotes have even been known to snatch small dogs while they've been walking on leash with their owners!! Scary stuff.

Well, that evening he reappeared. As a completely brown cat. You wouldn't have known he was ever white. So he got a bath. He is a dream to groom. He will stay in the bath to be washed. He isn't thrilled with being lathered though. He loves his brush. And the best part? He'll lie in my lap and PURR while I trim his front nails. :)

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
You lucked out on getting a fantastic first cat. He sounds so well balanced. Plus he is stunningly handsome! May you have many years to journey together in happiness. People who only know dogs are always surprised how wonderful cats are too. He is a treasure.

Do you sell your knitting on Etsy? I know there is another lady who sells cat hats on Etsy whose doing really well in sales. ALL your pictures were wonderful of Moose. Thanks for rescuing him and giving him a forever home. Im looking forward to hearing more about Moose and seeing his pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You lucked out on getting a fantastic first cat. He sounds so well balanced. Plus he is stunningly handsome! May you have many years to journey together in happiness. People who only know dogs are always surprised how wonderful cats are too. He is a treasure.

Do you sell your knitting on Etsy? I know there is another lady who sells cat hats on Etsy whose doing really well in sales. ALL your pictures were wonderful of Moose. Thanks for rescuing him and giving him a forever home. Im looking forward to hearing more about Moose and seeing his pictures.

Do you think I could actually sell my stuff on Etsy?!?! I had contemplated the idea, but I'm still learning how to knit, so I don't know how confident I feel about selling anything yet. I still make mistakes, and my stuff isn't perfect. I was originally just going to try throwing a classified ad in my town's online ads and see if I could just sell my stuff for enough to recoup the cost in yarn so I can keep knitting!! Hahaha.

I've been knitting a lot of baby stuff lately, my friend is expecting and she's gonna pop any day now! Moose has been my willing, but unimpressed, model. I'll be sure to take more pictures. He probably thinks this is some sort of cruel and unusual punishment.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
My sister sells on etsy and does fairly well. She can make a few hundred a month. She sells just buttons! There are tricks to keep your stuff up front on Etsy like post a new one every couple days. Doesnt cost much to sell on there. I think there is a small listing fee and people charge for postage on top of their selling price to ship. Ive bought most of my toys for my fosters off of Etsy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh brilliant!! Perhaps I shall try that then! :) Even a couple extra dollars a month can help a starving student!! Hahaha. Moose gets his raw food. I get Kraft Dinner and Ramen. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts