Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first kitten. I'm not sure if it is a she or a he :)

here is the link http://www.catforum.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2044&page=1&sort=1

I don't know a lot about cats but hopefully I'll learn. How old do you guys think she is? I saw her drinking water only once since yesterday, is this ok? i try to play with her and some toys but she ignores them completely and wants to play with me only. How about some dry food? she doesn't seem strong enough to chew, any advice?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Hi! Where did you get her? Is there any way you could find out about her age or was she found? I can't say exactly because I'm not expert and the pictures are a little hard to see, but since my kitten is just now 9 weeks old and she looks almost the same age as Addison when we got her, I'd say he/she looks about 6-7 weeks.

If you are worried about water consumption, I'd suggest feeding wet food. This way you'll know the kitten is getting water from the food. Also, it's easier to eat then dry food...at that young age it is difficult for them to chew the kibble!

It's not too difficult to tell the sex of the kitten, i can try to explain it to you if you want. I'll actually search for another post and see if there is something on the forum already.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks !! :) if I only give her canned food, would it give her diarrhea?
How many times a day should I give it to her since she won't be eating dry food for now?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Our vet said to feed her 3-4 times a day while she's still a kitten. I haven't had any problems with her stools with the canned food, except for the 1st day. One day and she was back to normal. I was concerned about this as well and looked on some other posts and read that most of the cats on a canned food diet are not having any problems.

I leave dry food out for our kitten as well, she has the option but doesn't eat it much. Our older one usually swoops over and eats it for her.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need Help

The canned food gave my kitten diarrhea so I crushed some dry food and mixed with some water and she ate it right away. now she's vomiting :? I don't know what to do. I don't think it was the food her vomit is almost white like her hair. I pick it up and it's kind of elastic or spongy, could it be a hair ball? is it possible if she's about 6 -7 weeks old? I've never seen one and don't know what to do. Should I still give her food tonight? what can I do to help her?

oh another thing, she slept almost all day, is this normal?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
She's such a tiny one. But the vomit you described sounds like a hairball, kinda thick and squishy I guess. Not sure but if anything, you need to take your cat to the vet so they can make sure your kitty is healthy, they can recommend what to feed your kitty and give you an approximate age too. Good luck :p

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Just a tip -- dry food mixed with anything wet is only okay IF the kitty eats it right away. Otherwise bacteria forms since the surface of dry food is so oily -- which can irritate kitty tummies and cause diarrhea or vomiting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts