Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, as many of you know my kitty died few days ago. I miss her so much I can still smell her in my room. Today my roommate found some kittens in a basement with many cacarouches and mouses huge ones!! 8O we called the ASPCA and took one kitten :) we haven't name him yet. Before taking him home I took him right away to the vet, he was dewormed, and has flu, fleas and eye infection, which we are taking care of at this moment. The vet said that I should bathe him twice a week for the fleas and gave him some kind of pill. My kitten is around 4 to 5 weeks old and the vet said that I should wait 2 more weeks before starting his shoots. don't know if this is correct.
I don't know if this is normal but he is hiding in a box. He is strong and quite a savage, a surviver!! :) I don't think he has ever been touched by a human. I hope things will go fine this time. I keep calling him as if he were a female like my Missy. :cry: who by the way was a male.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hello there -
I hope you can post pictures soon of your new baby ..just take things one at a time. Maybe not go to the vet that you took your previous kitty at.
The kitty that passed is probably watching over you and the new little sister that came in your life to keep you company.
Tell us more about her!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Hey there.
Again, I was sorry to hear about Mr. Missy.

I'm glad that you are able to rescue one of those basement kitties. I know you'll do everything you can for him.

When I was a kid, we had a neighborhood cat that always found her way into our basement (she use a crawl space from that underside of the house that had a broken internal window she'd crawl through) and she had kittens once. They were soooo cute and I would always try to catch one but they'd run back outside before I could.

The basement always smelled like mothballs (from before we even moved in there), so i was going to call the kitty "Moth" - but was never able to catch him/her.

That's what your story reminds me of.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi :) ) I posted some pictures on my web site, sorry for the bad quality I used my cellphone, gotta get me a digital camera, and he would not stop moving!!! :D http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/cleopatra/Mynewkitten?WT.mc_n=Blog&WT.mc_t=Email
The access code is cleo

He is adorable!! I took him to a different vet and I also went to the back room to see what they were doing to him!! The vet told me not to give him milk and to give him canned food but he doesn't even know how to drink water!!! I tried the canned food and he didn't want it. so I ran to petco and got him KMR 2nd Step Kitten Weaning formula, which he is drinking. I guess from there I'll move to the canned food.

I am a little concerned about him having fleas. The vet gave him a pill and said that he's too young to do anything else. She told me to bathe him, He had never seen water!!! 8O I'm all scratched!! My roommate is afraid of getting fleas so I have him in some parts of the appartment. Is this posible? humans with fleas? Any suggestions? When he scratches he wants to eat his skin!! and we are starting to feel things walking on us. I keep saying that it's my imagination. I hope so... I would really love to see him running around :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Fleas are no fun. Besides bathing him, you need to vacuum EVERYTHING at LEAST once a week. Yes, humans can get fleas. Keep it up -- you don't want to do a half-ass job and then have the fleas stick around for a long time...if you do everything right you get rid of them quicker. Good luck, and he's going to be cute when he's all healthy!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got him yesterday and so far I've put him on my lap. I haven't hug him :? because I've been hearing stories about fleas.. He is not full of it in fact I haven't seen them, only at the vet when she pulled one out. Should I change my clothes everytime I play with him?
I also noticed that he hasn't poop (release) since I got him here.
I want to make things easy for him.
He hasn't seen his mom since yesterday, then I took him to the vet. I've been giving him antiviotics for the flu, putting a cream in his eye, plus he was dewormed yesterday and bathed!!! poor thing!!!
Oh by the way the vet told me that he should've vomited or eliminated and I should check for wormes but he hasn't done anything. He has a big stomach and I don't know if it's because he's been drinking milk from his mom for 4 weeks.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
He's so cute. He looks a lot like my kitten but where he is orange she is gray!

Good Luck with him. I'd check back with the vet if he doesn't go potty soon!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep finding on the net that it is possible to bathe a kitten with citrus lemon joy to kill the fleas without harming him. any advice?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I don't trust that piece of information. Plus if that is dish detergent that you are referring to then it is a big NO - because it will wash out the oils that their skin & fur need.
Your vet should have provided you with a delicate enough flea shampoo for your kitten.
I hope you can find something over the counter that the delicate skin of a baby kitten can stand. So look for something appropriate or ask your vet for a little sample. You shouldn't have to bathe your kitten more than once a week until he is of age to get Revolution, Frontline or Advantage (- they are all well known flee control meds) - afterwards he will hardly ever need a bath.
So this being said you should bathe your kitty in the following manner. Dilute the size of a dime of shampoo in lots of luke warm water. Then put the kitty in the water and lather well. Also rinse well afterwards - in lots of warm water. Be very careful to keep the head with ears, eyes and mouth water & soap free! You can later wipe the head area with a well rang warm cloth.
Dry the kitty well - be gentle not to shake him too much while doing so since they are fragile. You can use a dryer or a warm fan so he would dry quicker - the quicker the better (healthier) for the kitty.

He is adorable - keep posting on how the bath goes!
ps If you clean your appartment on a regular basis you shouldn't worry about getting infested with flees. I had the same problem when Frosty was little - I bathed him once a week until he became of age to get flee meds...until I cleaned as usually - no fleas stuck :wink:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello :) I posted some new picts of my kitty. Cats are so much fun!!! I'm so in love with him I think I'll have cats for the rest of my life!! he moves so so so much!! will it be like that once he grows?
I'm curious about him "trying" to cover his plate after eating :lol: he's so cute. The other day he released (poop) in his bed, is this normal? oh the link for the picts http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/cleopatra/Mynewkitten?WT.mc_n=Blog&WT.mc_t=Email
Access code: cleo (no capital)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts