Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fianceé and I had talked for a while about getting a kitten when we moved into our first home. We even had planned to adopt a female and name her Penny. We took possession December 1st but I always had my eyes on the kitties at PetSmart when they would have the shelters come in for adoption weekends.

Back in October we were in the store and saw Penny and Autumn. I fell in love with them instantly. They are mother and daughter (Penny is now 16 months and Autumn is now 9 months). They do not have the full back ground other than they were found outside. They are both missing pieces of their ears. It was explained to us that sometimes when cats are found, vets will spay/newter them for free and clip a tiny piece of ear. Unfortunately, the vet took way too much. My fianceé felt sorry for them and also fell in love with them. But we didn't have our home yet and we knew it wouldn't be fair to take them home yet (to a 1 bedroom apartment).

I can tell you, I did not forget those two little faces. Every time we talked about getting a kitten, I'd mention those two. Well as luck had it, the weekend we took possession my mum came over with great news. "Penny & Autumn are back. The have an adoption weekend going on at PetSmart and they haven't been adopted yet." I was ecstatic. It turns out nobody wanted to adopt 2 cats, they only wanted the little one. I am glad the shelter would not split them up.

Two days later we went and adopted both of them. We were warned that they may need a couple of days to adjust. I could tell right away that Penny would have a hard time. Within 24 hours, Autumn was the boss of the house. She runs all over the place and is the happiest kitty. She purrs constantly and loves to snuggle.

A month later, Penny is still not adjusted. The first week she just hid under a bed or in a closet, looking petrified. She is a little better now, but she still runs away. At night she comes out to play with Autumn, or will just sit in the room and watch us. The only time you can really pet her is if she's under the bed or when you put food down. Other than that, she still runs away. I know in time she'll get better. We are taking it slow, letting her go at her own pace.

Here are our babies (yes, a little hard to tell apart at times):

Penny

Autumn

Snuggling together

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
I'm so glad they weren't split up!

Holy cow, they took a lot of Autumn's ear!! That picture is so cute and funny!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marie!

I think it may just be the angle of that other picture. Some pictures it looks worse than others. I am not sure if she even realizes she's missing a piece. I can tell Penny does though :(

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
Okay, that angle doesn't look so bad. I don't think they can tell at all.

I'm glad you kept them in mind and kept track of them, and so glad they were still available. When I was looking for kittens to adopt, I wanted siblings or bonded kittens. The two I fell in love with on Petfinder weren't related and were in separate foster homes. But I kept bugging the adoption agencies for more information and finally found out that they were sisters and were in the same home. If you click on the link below my name, you can see their Petfinder pictures I fell in love with.

Penny and Autumn have a great new home!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, that angle doesn't look so bad. I don't think they can tell at all.

I'm glad you kept them in mind and kept track of them, and so glad they were still available. When I was looking for kittens to adopt, I wanted siblings or bonded kittens. The two I fell in love with on Petfinder weren't related and were in separate foster homes. But I kept bugging the adoption agencies for more information and finally found out that they were sisters and were in the same home. If you click on the link below my name, you can see their Petfinder pictures I fell in love with.

Penny and Autumn have a great new home!
I can definitely see why. They are gorgeous!:p

·
Registered
708 Posts
Oh, they are so sweet. Their poor ears though!

I'm sure Penny will come round, it's no wonder some cats have a hard time adjusting- all that time in a cage and being transported around. She'll be fine, just keep giving her time like you are :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.