Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons I go to the Daily Mail is their animal articles, and most of all their cat ones. Here's one on a delightful little girl who's nearing 25. The publican thinks it's the beer fumes. I think she's been sneaking some on the sly.

Secret to long life for the country's oldest pub cat, still propping up the bar aged 112? Real ale on tap, her owner claims | Mail Online

In the article it says that as a kitten she belonged to a farmer, and used to sneak into the barn for a sip of milk. What's that I hear about cats not being allowed to have milk.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sweet,

In my borough, we have a print shop, a convenience store and a variety store that have cats as 'working residents'.

But a pub cat!
Humm, adds just another reason to go for a pint!

Pleasure it was to read Rosie's story!

sandyrivers

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
In the article it says that as a kitten she belonged to a farmer, and used to sneak into the barn for a sip of milk. What's that I hear about cats not being allowed to have milk.
what a cute cat.

well, i guess supposedly (or provenly, i haven't really followed scientific reports) cats are lactose intolerant to cow's milk. one of my cats goes berserk for coffee creamer and occasionally i will give him what amounts to a thimble, so he never gets diarrhea from it. the others have had some and then they're exceptionally gassy, so i don't know. personally i don't drink milk myself so it's not really in the house.

you can buy artificial cat milk in the store, but i don't. i assume that's for kittens.

no movie popcorn, no grilled meats, no tuna and no milk--what's the world coming to :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what a cute cat.

well, i guess supposedly (or provenly, i haven't really followed scientific reports) cats are lactose intolerant to cow's milk. one of my cats goes berserk for coffee creamer and occasionally i will give him what amounts to a thimble, so he never gets diarrhea from it. the others have had some and then they're exceptionally gassy, so i don't know. personally i don't drink milk myself so it's not really in the house.

you can buy artificial cat milk in the store, but i don't. i assume that's for kittens.

no movie popcorn, no grilled meats, no tuna and no milk--what's the world coming to :)
I bought some half and half for Missy. It made her sick. I've begun to wonder if there's a genetic trait that is not present in British cats, but is in North Amercan ones. When I lived in England, (I'm in Canada) cats always got a saucer of milk as a treat, but then they spent a lot of time outdoors so it was impossible to monitor them for milk related problems. This is why I noted that bit about the milk.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
it's entirely possible that it's related to genetic drift. if british cats regularly consume cow's milk, it's possible that they adapted to it. since there's an ocean between us, there aren't nearly as many farms in the states and if the intolerance is natural, it's reasonable to assume that genetically the cats returned to an intolerant state.

it would be interesting to see if there is actually an intolerance in farm cats, or if it simply goes unnoticed because they're outside. okay, not that interesting.

it's almost just like heart disease is the number one killer in the united states, and stomach cancer is relatively rare. (not unheard of but not nearly as prevalent as some others, and i'm not including colon cancer in that). in japan, where fish is the primary flesh consumed, the rate of heart disease is considerably lower but they have a high rate of stomach cancer. why? most fish has a lot of mercury in it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would say that maybe a cat who has had milk every day its whole life, might not have an issue with it because it is used to it. But if you just set down a bowl of milk for a cat who has never had it or only has it very occasionally it's probably going to mess with the cat's stomach. Just like if you have fed your cat one brand of food its whole life and suddenly switch it. Just my 2 cents.

Ollie is VERY attracted to the smell of coffee with French Vanilla creamer. He is all over me and tries to drink mine every time I have a cup. But the kids can be drinking a glass of milk and he totally ignores them. Oh, and I don't give him any coffee or leave the cup where he can get it, I finish it and rinse it out. Just to clarify.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Another thing to consider with them going outdoors, is that it's just as impossible to monitor what they're eating as it is their bathroom habits. I've always had indoor/outdoor cats, and have yet to have one with a weak stomach or many of the sensitivities I see in indoor only cats. Miss M is the sickliest of the cats that I've had, but most of her issues came from a poor start in life. She was dumped way before she should have been weaned and getting her healthy was an experience. It might be a trade off. Indoor/outdoor = stomach of steel. Indoor only = no worry ever of predation or cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.