Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy appeared on my porch today. Bold and very friendly. He went to the vet today to get a health screening and shots. He isn’t chipped. A bit underweight but his appetite is ferocious. He has been spayed. Approximately two years old. I’ve never seen such big paws on a cat before. He’s also very vocal.

Is he a domestic shorthair or possibly a mix?
Also, I have a cat I adopted last year. She’s timid but so sweet. I have them separated at the moment. Any tips for the introduction?

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congratulations Evergreennj. You've been adopted!

He looks like a DSH... your basic tabby cat. Have you brought him into the main part of your house yet? And what is his name?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

His names Ragnar.

At the moment he is in our enclosed porch.We set up a litter box and bed, although he prefers sleeping in our hamper at the moment. The vet recommended keeping him separated for two days. I want to prepare for their first introduction. A little nervous how the queen is going to react lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
"A little nervous how the queen is going to react lol"

Ha! As you should be. Queens do NOT like to be usurped!

You could start by feeding them meals and giving them treats on either side of the door so they can associate a pleasant activity with a new cat smell. I don't know if you can do both at the same time without opening the door, so if not, you could bring out Ragnar's food first and The Queen's next.

Get a facecloth and rub it on you, then on Ragnar, then on Queenie, and back and forth between you three to intermingle everybody's scent.

Put Queenie in another room and let Ragnar inside and let him roam around the house. Then put R back on the porch and let Q roam the house. When R is comfortable inside, put him in the house and let Q on the porch. In the beginning, multiple litter-boxes are your friend!

If there's no hissing or fearful behavior, give them their meals and open the door an inch so they can see each other but can't push through. Gradually open the door bit by bit until they have their meals together in full sight of each other. When you do bring them both into the same room, have a play session after their meals to keep them occupied. And don't feel bad if it doesn't go smoothly the first time around. Take it step by step and only move on to the next step when everybody's comfortable.

Then again, cats defy logic on a regular basis so they may immediately become best buds and I typed this whole thing for nothing! :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pretty much what M said. We just added a 6 year-old male to our household with a 3 year-old male. Our introduction took 6 days. We put the new cat, Bugsy, in my office with a separate litter box and food. We kept Andy in the rest of the house and supported his usual routine, playing with him and petting him. We got them both towels to lay on and switched out the towels so they could pick up each other's scent, although Andy's was already all over the house. Whenever possible we fed them on each side of the office door (and gave them treats) so they would associate each other's scents with a positive experience. Like M said, on Day 3 we moved Andy into the office and let Bugsy roam the house. Then we switched them back later in the day. On Day 5 we cracked open the door and let them see and sniff each other. Andy hissed once but didn't really seem bothered. Andy was always coming to the office door to check things out. On Day 6 we let Bugsy out and played with both of them together with toys. It is important that you be with both of them the first time they are together and play with them so they are distracted and don't fight.

It helps that both are really sweet boys. Bugsy could get along with anyone, like your Ragnar. Andy was a little bit more skittish but now he has developed more confidence because of their relationship. They play all the time, groom each other and are using the same litter box (even though we still have two). Andy still lays on our laps at night like always and Bugsy has joined him. As M said, everyone's timeline is different so do the introduction when you feel it is the right time. We've had many cats and have only introduced one prior to this. Now I wish we'd done it every time because these cats are best buds now. Best of luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
98 Posts
Ah, he's a handsome boy, looks a lot like my cat Tiger. Those lean and rangy cats make good mousers, though they also tend to kill too many birds. He's probably hungry from starving out for a bit after being abandoned... that would be my first guess. With some love and plenty of good food, he'll fill out nicely. Sounds like a friendly cat, hope the introduction goes well! Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts