Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
He is a beautiful boy either way. My cats used to hold up the wall too when they had some excess pounds. It's something I actually miss from their chubby days. I love his white tummy, looks so rubbable :) .

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I would ask Queen of the Nile for diet tips -- she has successfully slimmed down all three of her cats quite a bit! He's a cutie -- I hope you get him healthy soon. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I did get some diet tips, so I'm off to the store in the next day or so to pick out some different foods for Jack and some kitten food for Tom. Obviously, these two cats will be fed in totally different rooms and different floors of the house so that Jack isn't tempted by the fatty kitten food!

Lisa :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Just be aware that a lot of "diet" foods and "weight loss" foods end up making cats gain weight. I'm talking about the dry food variety. Because The fat content is lower than regular dry foods, so it LOOKS good on the label. But what they give up in fat, they gain in carbs. And carbs as we all know from the recent "Atkins craze"...are bad. So...cats end up gaining more weight with the "less fat" foods. Otherwise, they are not as filling, so cats eat more of them to feel full. It sounds like the wet food diet is the most successful. Overweight "dry food" kitties tend to stay overweight.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The reason dry food is worse is because it has more fat than the wet food typically. Cats cannot break down fat as well as humans. With wet food they can replace a lot of the fat with moisture, and it's still appealling to cats.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
From what I've read and heardm it's actually the lower carbs in wet food and the moisture that make it a great weight-loss aid. Apparently, having a higher fat content is not bad for a cat, whereas a high carb content *is*. Since they are obligate carnivores I would think that the carbohydrates would be more difficult for them to digest.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
queen of the nile said:
From what I've read and heardm it's actually the lower carbs in wet food and the moisture that make it a great weight-loss aid. Apparently, having a higher fat content is not bad for a cat, whereas a high carb content *is*. Since they are obligate carnivores I would think that the carbohydrates would be more difficult for them to digest.
Exactly. But people see the words "low fat food" and they think their cat is going to lose weight from it. I mean right on the label you can see that it has half as much fat as other dry foods. But...if you take something away you have to put something back in. What they put in, is carbs. So usually cats actually GAIN weight on the low fat dry foods. :( Best way to help your cat lose weight is definitely a wet food diet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts